Chocolate Coffee Cream Stout Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyd

Reaction score
I'm thinking about making a (partial-mash) stout based off of a combination of 2 of Bell's beers together. Their Double Cream Stout and their Java Stout. I want it to have a nice pronounced chocolate and coffee and cream flavor. Can anyone help me put together a nice recipe.

I believe Bell's Double Cream doesn't actually have any lactose in it, but it is Munich based. Some flaked grain oats/barley/rye is a good way to add some creaminess to the mouthfeel, as is moderate-low carbonation.

The best coffee flavor/aroma I've gotten has been from steeping whole or cracked beans in the beer for 12-24 hours right before bottling. Don't be too heavy handed with the roasted grains or you'll overpower the coffee. Keep the bitterness and hop flavor/aroma additions moderate and ferment with a clean ale yeast to let the coffee/malt chine through.

From an old Zymurgy:
Double Cream
10 lbs Munich
1 lb flaked barley
1 lb roasted barley
50 IBUs of Nugget at 60 min
American Ale yeast

Java
11 lbs Pale
1.5 lbs flaked barley
1 lb roasted barley
.5 lbs C40
40 IBUs Centennial at 60
.5 lbs of coarse ground espresso/French roasst at 10 min in the boil
American Ale yeast

Any idea how to do these together in a partial mash?

How much can you mash? I'd go with 1 lb flaked barley, 1 lb roasted barley, a bit of C40 if you want the added sweetness, and as much Munich as you can mash. Then use pale/light extract to get to ~1.070. Hop with your choice of variety to 40-50 IBUs. You can add the coffee to the boil as specified, but I would go with the addition post-fermentation as I described. Good luck.

So, should I steep the coffee in the primary for 24-48 hrs before I keg it?

So, should I steep the coffee in the primary for 24-48 hrs before I keg it?

I would rack to the keg and add the coffee in a muslin bag. I’d go with ~6 oz cracked, or 8 oz whole. Then taste after 12/24/36 and pull it when it has enough character for you.

Ok, I'm going to try to come up with a recipe and post it to see what you all think.

For your chocolate addition, I would recommend creme de cacao (despite the name it actually doesn't have any cream), it is a smooth chocolaty taste. Or if you are going to add cocoa powder, I recommend it going into secondary, you can use a LOT less. Also, cocoa powder goes into solution better in alcohol compared to water. How much better...well, we would have to ask someone else about that.

Back