Ever know the answer to a question, but you have to ask it anyway?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkeeg

Reaction score
I've seen so many other posts like this...

I put a batch into the primary before being called to work for 6 weeks... when I got back... the stuff on the top... was like kraussen... but... firm... and punctuated with white fuzzy bits... with a very acrid smell. First batch I've ever dumped.

Anyway... I THOUGHT I had cleaned the (plastic) primary pretty well... I put on a cheap extract kit a friend had from a yard sale (...). I used unboiled tapwater (I often do on cheap kits... never had a problem). It's been cold (18C/64F) and the dry yeast was slow to take off... a few days later I haven't yet had a serious kraussen explosion... just a thin (1/4") bubbly layer on top, which now has a few white spots...

So... I know I don't really have to ask this... but I'd rather be in denial for a bit longer... I'll have to throw it out though, right?

Thanks guys!
Keegan

I believe one is required to post a picture with an "Is my beer infected" question. I love to see them too.

I've had what sounds like that residue on my blow off bottle as well... Picture!?

Thanks guys, was away for a few days again, I got back, moved it to the counter, and it looks like this:

Moving it sort of broke up the gunk on the top. You can see the sort of orangey flakey stuff that used to cover the surface, along with some of the foamy white masses.

I'm going to put it in the secondary I guess. The impression I've gotten (from so many other people's posts that sound so much like mine) is that if the beer tastes drinkable, then it is unlikely to harm you; if you have anything really nasty/unhealthy in the batch, then it won't be something your tongue and nose like anyway ...?

Transferred it.. and put some in a glass and drank it too. I'm still typing.

The beer itself is actually quite clear. It tastes warm, flat, and bitter - not great - but keep in mind this was a cheap no-boil extract kit that someone picked up at a garage sale (why am I still bothering? ... oh ya... free beer)

*shrug* maybe it'll be drinkable

Back