goop from a freezer pack for thermostat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
I have noticed that a few people use a small container filled with that goop from a blue freezer pack. What is the benefits of this? I have a few of those just kicking around.

I use a Ranco to control a 7.2 cubic chest freezer.

Thanks

Air has very rapid temperature swings. By using the goo it helps to stabilize the temperature that the probe reads and gets closer to the actual temperature of the liquid beer.

What he said. It's a buffer to keep the sensor from warming up when you open the lid. If you've got say 15 gallons of beer in there at 40F, an inrush of warm air would fire up the compressor when it is completely unnecessary. Putting the probe in a white labs vial full of water or goop is plenty.

Thanks for the fast replies!!! Also one more thing, I also read to keep the thermostat with in one degree of your initial setting. should I do this as well?

Thanks for all the feed back

Alternately, could you just tape the thermostat right to the side of the carboy (in my case)? So, the residual temp of the beer would act as the buffer?

Or but in a bucket of star san, if you're using a blowoff tube??

Latest posts

Back