Aquapex IC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sithdad

Reaction score
A friend of mine who does kitchen remodeling told me about PEX and he thought that I might be able to use it to make an immersion chiller. What we are unsure of is whether or not the tubing can withstand temps of 212F and higher. He's pretty sure we can coil it small enough without kinking.

Has anyone tried making one from PEX and does anyone know if PEX can withstand temps of atleast, say, 215F?

According to a few manufacturers' and pexsupply.com the tubing can withstand 200 degrees at 80 PSI so you should be fine.

--Matthew

That is very promising because this stuff is much cheaper than copper. It probably isn't as conductive as copper but it warrants some testing. Home Depot has 1/2"(id)x100' for >$30.

polyethylene is a crappy thermal conductor. (approx .42 W/mK for poly vs. 401 W/mK for copper). in other words, it is 1000 times less conductive. Probably not going to get you anywhere, sorry.

I would not want to sink plastic into my boil. not only that but I doubt it's going to want to stay coiled like copper will.

Latest posts

Back