racked wrong beer. Are plastic primary buckets air permeable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin22

Reaction score
OK so I just racked the wrong beer to secondary. It was a black ale that had been in the primary for 10 days. Never took Fg as I was planning on leaving it their for a while. I racked it thinking it was one that had been in their for 2 weeks. But anyways the beer has showed no air lock activity for a while.

So here is my question.

Any sounds of trouble from the description?

I use plastic buckets for my primary are these permeable to air? And if so what are the chances of it going bad in three weeks? What about 2 weeks?

You're okay. Plastic pails are air-permeable to some degree but it's fine for several weeks. Just pretend it's still in primary and continue as usual. And RDWHAHB. :)

It's not likely to go bad, generally because of the hops... and any infections that might take place are not harmful to humans.

What I would do is clean a proper secondary, and re-rack into that.

Just out of curiosity, why secondary?

I did move the black ale from a primary to a proper secondary. Today, after 10 days of it sitting it in the primary.

I decided to do a secondary only because I was afraid that my plastic buckets would not seal properly.

But now that you say its Okay I will not use a secondary again unless I like the results.

THANKS!

The amount of permeability is so negligable, that you don't need to worry...besides your beer is wrapped in a cushion of co2, and the co2 is pushing outwards...and if co2 is pushing outwards, then not o2 is getting in.

Many here leave their beer in primary in buckets for 6 weeks or more, so don't worry.

Actually, that's a great attitude... just because any of us say something, doesn't necessarily mean it's right for you... a great example is in my tagline... I love hoppy beers, and my friend (the one who buys the Black Rock Mexican Cervesa kits) thinks that hops are better smoked.

Nothing better than trying something. The worst thing that could happen is that you can now say you've tried it.

I routinely leave batches in the bucket for 3-6 weeks. I've never had a problem with oxidation and some of my beers have been kegged for years.

It's not likely to go bad, generally because of the hops... and any infections that might take place are not harmful to humans.

What I would do is clean a proper secondary, and re-rack into that.

Just out of curiosity, why secondary?

I think the issue here was his concern for oxidation rather than infection.

Back