Supplies & ingredients on-line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewdog34

Reaction score
does anyone have a recommendation on getting ingredients on-line as opposed to a local home brew store, with my work schedule its nearly impossible to get what i need. I am also a newbie so i need a little bit of direction here and there, so help is always appreciated :mug:

I used to order from Midwest Homebrewing exclusively. Orders are not always perfect, but a quick phone call and they will fix any problem you have. In 3 years of brewing, my liquid yeasts have always arrived alive.

Recently Midwest has been giving me terrible grain crushes and sometimes forgetting to crush the grains at all so I've decided to try somewhere new. I've switched to Northern Brewer due to their large selection of ingrediants and easy to navigate website. I'll let you know how the service is after I've done business with them for a while.

I have gotten nothing but good service from Midwest and AHS.

Just a note on the AHS flat shipping. For bottles, carboys and other heavy stuff it is a deal, but if you price out your normal brew supplies there and at Midwest, Midwest will usually be cheaper because AHS prices are higher.

I have priced ingredients and other things between AHS and Northern Brewer. Since I'm an AG'er the kits are actually much less at Northern Brewer and even with shipping they beat AHS's price. Also, Wyeast Activators are standard with Northern Brewer kits while they are upgrades with AHS.

I just had a very good experience with Northern Brewer's customer service as well. The most recent package I had contained a Wyeast pack that was already fully swollen when it got to my door. I called them up and they are sending a replacement...no charge!

The Grape and Granary
They have good prices and every order I have gotten from them has arrived the next day. I'm close but that still means they shipped it ASAP. In addition they have gotten every order correct even my last order with 35 mostly small miscellaneous items.
I order on-line because it is much easier than driving to the LHBS. If I go to the store it is assured I will forget something. When I order online I start a "cart" and keep adjusting it until I'm ready to place the order. For me this might be several days after I first decide to start the order.
Craig

Brewer3401 said:
Northern Brewer. Good selection and great people.
I have not bought any kits from them but I have bought brewing gear from them and all has been great. I will use them when/if I order grain online.

I ordered from Austin homebrew and Northern Brewer on the same day and the NB order came a full week before the AHS. It actually arrived before AHS even shipped my order. I'd go with Austin if you're order weighs a lot, otherwise midwest, NB, morebeer will probably be better.

Back