Decoction efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCuckerson

Reaction score
Just wrapping up a LONG brew day... I'm cold, tired and SWMBO may be a little irritated. However, I just scored 91% efficiency on a double decoction so I'm in pretty good mood. Should I expect this type of efficiency with decoctions in the future?

I've found that the efficiency that I get from my decoction mash recipes have for the most part been the same as my standard mash. The only difference has been a direct result of the crush of the grain and length of sparge time.
mark
Beer Diary...

I get a little higher efficiency with decotions. The few points sure are not worth the time. The boil gelatinizes and releases more starches. Over 90% is not uncommon with my normal size grain bills.

I wanted a slightly different malt profile that I have read you can only get by decoction. We have to see how it tastes. I'm not one of these efficiency gurus and it actually anoys the hell out of me that now I am outside the style guidelines.

Back