New hop--SORACHI ACE?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chairman Cheyco said:
Dang! I'll have to wait until the end of the week. Keep us updated!

I know, sorry bro. Had to decide on the fly.

I was going to send you a packet of the Safale-56 too, before oyu brewed it, that way ours could be identical.

Oh, BTW, I took the wheat out of the recipe completely. Didn't have any. F* head retention. :D

Very smooth brew session. The wort tasted awesome. The sorachis are a little bit more bitter than I expected. I was thinking they were going to be a soft bitterness, but at 13.7%, the bitterness has to be in there somewhere. Anyway, I'm confident this is going to be a killer brew--but it might take a while to age out and mellow the flavors.

Two problems, I used my back-up cooler and FUBAR'd my mash temp. I only hit 146° so I had to add a quart of boiling water and still only got it to 148° , so this might be a dry mofo. I also kicked some effficiency a$$. For some reason I got 90% in a batch sparge. With the smaller back-up cooler, I have to actually fill it 3 times to get my volume, in which I have to recirculate after every one, so I ended up REALLY rinsing those sugars I guess. :D

Final numbers were 5 gallons @ 1.064 OG.

Dude said:
I also kicked some effficiency a$$. For some reason I got 90% in a batch sparge. With the smaller back-up cooler, I have to actually fill it 3 times to get my volume, in which I have to recirculate after every one, so I ended up REALLY rinsing those sugars I guess. :D

Final numbers were 5 gallons @ 1.064 OG.

Sweet! Your efficiency goes to reason with rinsing the third time. The returns diminish fairly quickly after the second rinse though. Two rinses get you 80%, and three only gets you up to 90%, a fourth would probably only get you to 94% or so.

Kaiser, where's your spreadsheet on sparge rinses?

Dude said:
So how's it going?

It's going really well, my pre-boil numbers suggest I hit 81%, probably hydro-temp adjustment errors in there, but not too far off. (Man, I need a refractometer!)
These hops smell great!

P.S. I've managed to get the garage up to 35F! Woot!

Cool.

I can't wait to rack mine and try it. Maybe this weekend. I'm jonesing to brew already. Prolly gonna brew Saturday so while I'm at it I'll rack too. :rockin:

What yeast are you gonna end up using?

Dude said:
What yeast are you gonna end up using?

I'm going to use Cooper's Dry yeast. It's pretty close to Nottingham and s-56 as far as clean flavors go. I'm having a hell of a time getting quality dry yeast up here.

Just running it through the CFC right now, tastes awesome. You were right about the bitterness and I'm glad I was a little high on the GUs.

Chairman Cheyco said:
I'm going to use Cooper's Dry yeast. It's pretty close to Nottingham and s-56 as far as clean flavors go. I'm having a hell of a time getting quality dry yeast up here.

Just running it through the CFC right now, tastes awesome. You were right about the bitterness and I'm glad I was a little high on the GUs.

Once I get a few beers bottled up, I'll send you that and the Oaked AB and also throw in a few packets of S-56. If you like 1056 you'll love this stuff. No starter necessary.

Dude said:
Once I get a few beers bottled up, I'll send you that and the Oaked AB and also throw in a few packets of S-56. If you like 1056 you'll love this stuff. No starter necessary.

That would be sweet, you take Paypal right? I'm not lookin' for a free ride.

Chairman Cheyco said:
That would be sweet, you take Paypal right? I'm not lookin' for a free ride.

Dude that S-56 is like 2 bucks. Big whoop.

Plus I want to send you the Sorachi Ace brew and also the SOS since you've been such a help in both of those threads.

going with Sorachis and Amarillos

lemony + grapefruit goodness

Citrus Pale maybe?

1/2 oz Sorachi 60
1/2 oz Amarillo 35
1/2 oz Sorachi 25
1 oz Amarillo 15
1 oz Sorachi 10
1/2 Amarillo 5

or something along those lines. Ill double check on the hop times when I get home.

Chimone said:
going with Sorachis and Amarillos

lemony + grapefruit goodness

Citrus Pale maybe?

1/2 oz Sorachi 60
1/2 oz Amarillo 35
1/2 oz Sorachi 25
1 oz Amarillo 15
1 oz Sorachi 10
1/2 Amarillo 5

or something along those lines. Ill double check on the hop times when I get home.

Sounds like I died and went to heaven. :)

11 Gallons

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
74.6 18.00 lbs. Crisp Maris Otter Britain 1.036 4
10.4 2.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
4.1 1.00 lbs. Munich Malt(light) America 1.033 10
4.1 1.00 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
4.1 1.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
2.6 0.63 lbs. Honey Malt Canada 1.030 18

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.50 oz. Sorachi Ace Whole 13.70 13.6 60 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 6.2 35 min.
0.50 oz. Sorachi Ace Whole 13.70 5.5 25 min.
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 5.3 15 min.
1.00 oz. Sorachi Ace Whole 13.70 5.5 10 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 1.7 5 min.

Just not sure sure if Im keeping the Munich or not. Opinions?

Chimone said:
11 Gallons

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
74.6 18.00 lbs. Crisp Maris Otter Britain 1.036 4
10.4 2.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
4.1 1.00 lbs. Munich Malt(light) America 1.033 10
4.1 1.00 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
4.1 1.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
2.6 0.63 lbs. Honey Malt Canada 1.030 18

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.50 oz. Sorachi Ace Whole 13.70 13.6 60 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 6.2 35 min.
0.50 oz. Sorachi Ace Whole 13.70 5.5 25 min.
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 5.3 15 min.
1.00 oz. Sorachi Ace Whole 13.70 5.5 10 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 1.7 5 min.

Just not sure sure if Im keeping the Munich or not. Opinions?

Why not....the munich will add even more maltiness. Might be splitting hairs here though--but either drop that Honey malt completely or keep it under a half pound. Easy to overso that stuff--and honestly, you don't need it in that recipe.

good point on the honey.

This is gonna be an expensive brew.I think its time to finally get a grainmill and save some money.

I racked the "slammer" to secondary last night and got a sample.

I'll say "different". Not my favorite hop flavor but it will be a good pale ale. I'll let this sit in secondary for a few weeks then rack to a keg and dry hop. Final determination then.

the_bird said:
Did you get that fixed?

When you come up north in the spring, you gonna pack it along? ;)

Yes, it's fixed. The problem was two-fold: 1. You've got to load it with beer very slowly in order to keep the CO2 in solution. Else you get excessive foaming. 2. Holes in the filter tube were too big which allowed hop particles to pass through. I have since wrapped the filter tube in fine SS mesh. Works like a champ. Yes, I will pack the randall in my carry-on. I can see it now: "Mr. Randall, is this one of those Swedish penis enlargers?"

FAA: "Mr. Randall, is this one of those Swedish penis enlargers?"
Me: "No, it's called a randall."
FAA: "What the hell is a randall?"
Me: "It's a device for hopping up homebrew."
FAA: "Mr. Randall, come with us to the interrogation room."
Me: "OK, OK, it's a Swedish penis enlarger!"

Just bagged these up last night into 1 oz portions. They smell fantastic, and I wish I was brewing it right now. but its on the list for 2 weeks from now. I'm gonna call it "Sarachi Slamarillo"

i would love to try some of those with some coriander and orange peel

I brewed my Sorachi Saison with Corriander and Orange peel. Will bottle it next weekend. So far it's passed all the taste tests during racking.

I only used 1oz total sorachi's in 2 separate .5 oz hoppings. Used tet and saaz with it. Just have to wait and see, but i've been drinking every saison I can get my hands on in the meantime just to keep my taste buds at bay.

If anyone can get Victory Saison - It's mighty good, and at 7% it'll get you messed up to boot.

Dude said:
I'll say "different". Not my favorite hop flavor but it will be a good pale ale. I'll let this sit in secondary for a few weeks then rack to a keg and dry hop. Final determination then.

I was wondering how you would like this hop; saw a thread on the greenboard last week from someone who absolutely despised them.

Dude said:
Very smooth brew session. The wort tasted awesome. The sorachis are a little bit more bitter than I expected. I was thinking they were going to be a soft bitterness, but at 13.7%, the bitterness has to be in there somewhere.

That was my initial opinion as well. Very soft aroma to them, but like you said...at 13.7% Its got to be in there somewhere. Looking back now, would you change your hop schedule?

Chimone said:
That was my initial opinion as well. Very soft aroma to them, but like you said...at 13.7% Its got to be in there somewhere. Looking back now, would you change your hop schedule?

Now that I've tasted it, no, I wouldn't change much.

Speaking of tasting it....WOW! Holy grapefruit/lemon juice batman!!!!! YIKES! This is a pretty awesome beer if you like citrus. This is by far the most citrusey hop I've ever used. This beer kicks ass IMHO. I put it on tap only tonight, but carbed up a bottle with my carbonator cap to sample it. It turned out great.

Dude said:
Holy grapefruit/lemon juice batman!!!!! YIKES! This is a pretty awesome beer if you like citrus. This is by far the most citrusey hop I've ever used. This beer kicks ass IMHO. I put it on tap only tonight, but carbed up a bottle with my carbonator cap to sample it. It turned out great.

Ditto, mine tastes like grapefruit juice. Totally awesome. This hop is going to get tons of mileage around SWT. I brewed a mild with it yesterday and I can hardly wait to see how it turns out in a more subdued beer.

Dude said:
1:1 BU:GU ratio?

What does that mean? 1:1 Bittering Unit : Gravity Unit? :confused: like a 1.057 OG would have 57 IBU's? Just a shot in the dark, but figure why not fire away. Sometimes my aim is true.

You got it. It's a method of describing the bitterness of a beer. Ray Daniels uses it extensively in his book Designing Great Beers. The short answer is that the more malt you use, the more hops you need to balance out the sweetness. Styles of beer vary on the malty to bitter scale.

Hefeweizen - 15 IBU / 1.045 OG = ratio of 0.33
Brown - 25 IBU / 1.050 OG = ratio of 0.5
Pale Ale - 40 IBU / 1.054 OG = ratio of 0.75
IPA - 60 IBU / 1.060 OG = ratio of 1.0

Chairman Cheyco said:
Ditto, mine tastes like grapefruit juice. Totally awesome. This hop is going to get tons of mileage around SWT. I brewed a mild with it yesterday and I can hardly wait to see how it turns out in a more subdued beer.

Yep! I'm going to rebrew my B's honey wheat towards spring time, and I'm using Sorachi and lemon peel that I bought from Austin Homebrew.

I am also going to pair Sorachi and Simcoe and Amarillo in the next version of LWPA.

I just tasted my Sorachi Saison - and GOD DAMN is it good. It was a little under carbed yet (only in the bottle for 10 days), so I can't wait to see it in the coming weeks. I followed it up with a Victory Saison, and I honestly think mine was better. And I love Victory's Saison. Victory is not as good as more notable saisons (Ommegang, Saison Dupont), but it's certainly not bad. I need to get another pack of Ommegang to try with my brews to see up close how good it is.

Next time, we're going to use some pepper and maybe a little grapefruit. I was afraid of the big 13.7% so I only did 2 additions of Sorachi Ace at .5 oz each (IIRC it was either 45 and 30 or 30 and 15. It's not very hoppy tasting, so I may up that a little.

This is the neatest little hop I've found yet. I can't wait to try it some other things, but for now, I've got at least 2 more batches of Saison planned for it.

For anyone who cares, this is what I used:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 55.8 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 18.6 %
2.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 18.6 %
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 16.3 IBU
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [13.70%] (15 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00%] (20 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [13.70%] (5 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.50 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 4.7 %
0.25 lb Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM) Sugar 2.3 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Saison I Ale (White Labs #WLP565) Yeast-Ale

Single infusion mash @ 153.

Dude, how did you like this one once it aged a little more? Did I read somewhere that you were not all that impressed with it?

I'm wondering because I'm probably going to do another hop-profile beer, and I was wondering if you're going to keep this recipe the same for your hop profiling.

Back