Another one of those Malta threads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
I've poked around and read a few threads on fermenting malta, or using it as a starter here and there. I think I'm going to go ahead and try to ferment some...just because I can. From the little bit I could find, it tastes better fermented than it does out of the bottle...still a bit sweet though. I wish I had some dme laying around to mix with it.

1. Would it possibly taste better if I were to boil it with some hops to balance out the sweetness? The included hops seem a bit mild.

1b. Would anything bad happen from boiling it while carbonated? Should I let it go flat first?

2. I suck at math plain and simple. How much table sugar would I need to prime with? 1 tsp per bottle?

All I have laying around is some washed yeast (muntons/coopers mix and nottingham), lots of Hallertau 6%, and Warrior 16.4% (only .5 oz). I've got friends coming over to help bottle tonight. It would be a fun experiment to do after we get a bit...uh...jolly. :tank:

I pitched dry yeast directly to the bottle and rigged a mini blow off tube to the top. Yeah, it does taste better fermented than straight out of the bottle, but even fermented it's really nothing special.

Back