Thoughts on my recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokopuff829

Reaction score
So I was just fooling around with recipes and I came up with this and I was wondering if it would make a good beer and your thoughts on different ingredients. Any criticism is welcome.

Grain Bill
10lbs 2 row
2lbs Munich
.5lbs Crystal 60

Hops
1 oz Cluster (60min.)
1oz Willamette (0min.)

Yeast? Haven gotten that far because I don't even know if this is any good. Please any thoughts or suggestion are needed. Thanks.

Well I wasn't shooting for any particular style but looking for a malt forward beer with some slight hop backing. I read cluster hops give a blackcurrant flavor so I picked them. I just wasn't particularly shooting for a style.

i would go for a style you like and build your recipe around that. Throwing everything together and hoping for the best doesn't always turn out that well (not saying it won't).

For example, your grain bills looks like it would typically fit a Pale Ale, IPA kind of style. However your hopping is nowhere near those styles. You would end up with a disappointing clash in my opinion.

That is purely my opinion though. I feel that trying to brew to a style while still learning is the greatest benefit for me. It opens the door for more feedback and a better learning experience if things don't go as planned.

Try it out. Sometimes simple is best. I would say this will turn out quite tasty.

I would do a 90 min boil and fwh with the cluster for trying to try get more out of your cluster(it's mild) flavoring and a little more bittering since you have only 1 0z of cluster.Try some dry 005, or wl001 liquid.
Or just make it your way.

Jwood I know what you mean I usually do that but for some reason I've been feeling real risky lately. Hopefully it will turn out good if not I guess I wasted a couple dollars

jonmohno said:
I would do a 90 min boil and fwh with the cluster for trying to try get more out of your cluster(it's mild) flavoring and a little more bittering since you have only 1 0z of cluster.
Or just make it your way.

Hmm fwh seems better I'll probably end up doing tht

It's really hard to answer your question without knowing what type of beer you trying to make. It's kinda like asking if its a good dinner recipe. It all depends what your trying to make. This recipe would change a lot with your mash temps also. If you keep it in the 148-150 range than it should finish kinda dry but if you mash 154-158 then it could finish very sweet and out of balance with your hops.

Sounds fine to me, don't worry about fitting styles unless you're brewing for competition. This will be light on the hops compared to most pale ales but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

sketerbuck said:
It's really hard to answer your question without knowing what type of beer you trying to make. It's kinda like asking if its a good dinner recipe. It all depends what your trying to make. This recipe would change a lot with your mash temps also. If you keep it in the 148-150 range than it should finish kinda dry but if you mash 154-158 then it could finish very sweet and out of balance with your hops.

I get what your saying. So I should mash around 150?

I would do higher than that unless you want a dryer beer. If you want maltier i would go a little higher.

So I was just fooling around with recipes and I came up with this and I was wondering if it would make a good beer and your thoughts on different ingredients. Any criticism is welcome.

Grain Bill
10lbs 2 row
2lbs Munich
.5lbs Crystal 60

Hops
1 oz Cluster (60min.)
1oz Willamette (0min.)

Yeast? Haven gotten that far because I don't even know if this is any good. Please any thoughts or suggestion are needed. Thanks.

I use about 10# 2 row domestic and a lb. or 2 of Munich for almost all of my pale ales, substituting the Munich for whatever crystal others often use. As for the hops, the cluster I have is 7% AA. An ounce for bittering, along with the crystal 60 would make for a pretty sweet brew.

Just my $ .02.

Bob

Back