is it worth growing own hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In what context?

Will it save money? Doubtful.

Is it easier? God, no.

Is it another element of the process that can be enjoyable? Yup.

Is it pretty much the only way to make a wet-hopped ale? Yup.

So, it depends on what's important to you...

yeah first i got to find the perfect recipe then improve on it and then start growing my own hops

thx for the reply

Plant hops now. They take a couple years to produce. Of course, if you grow the wrong hops, you'll have to trade them with someone.

If you plant too many, you can try to kill the extras. Try.

i think that it is a neat thing to grow what you need to brew. it is a project that i am very curious to see if i can succeed at. i have a gardening bug right now that makes me want to grow as much as possible, i have blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, 8 kinds of peppers + all kinds of stuff in a little garden patch about 15 yds. sq. (also pumpkin and butternut squash) i am excited to begin brewing beers with as much as i can grow.

There are wild hops in my area that were probably originally planted by German immigrants 150 years ago. They die back each year, but they're perenial (sp?).

The farmer down the lane says there are hop plants on his farm that go back to the 1920's.

Back