Dry yeast storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejerk

Reaction score
I'm not too worried about this, unless somebody tells me I should be. I've never used dry yeast before. I picked up some dry Montrachet yeast and Nottingham yeast at the LHBS while I was out running errands. It was a hellish hot day and my radiator is biting the dust so no AC--by the time I got home the little packets were quite warm to the touch. I put them in the refrigerator ASAP, but will the 90+ heat for 30+ minutes have possibility hurt my dry yeasts?
Thanks,
Andy
(Anticipating the answer to be: RDWHAHB)

I don't think so..I put my dry yeast in the fridge but I don't think its necessary. I've used yeast thats been at room temp for a few months and haven't had any problems.

as long as they didn't sit at 100+ for a couple hours, they should be fine. As long as they are dry, they are pretty resiliant buggers.

I ordered 2 kits a few weeks ago and because of weather I won't be able to brew the second batch until summer is over. Should I put the dry yeast pack in the fridge? Ziplock bag it first?

Just pop it into the refrigerator. It'll be fine.

Be sure to rehydrate it properly before you pitch.

Just pop it into the refrigerator. It'll be fine.

Be sure to rehydrate it properly before you pitch.

I guess that raises a second question. The instructions that came with my kit said just pitch it dry. I did that and the next morning I had about 4" of kroisen in my carboy so I guess they came alive. Would rehydrating them have made it work better?

It'll work the way you did it.

It just makes for healthier, more viable yeast if they're rehydrated with water first, then set loose on the beer, rather than rehydrated with beer.

Cool... just sanitize a cup or bowl or whatever, boil a cup of water for 5 minutes, let it cool to 104F (that's optimum but not critical...don't go hotter than that though), then pitch the yeast into it. Cover it with something sanitized (aluminum foil is good) and leave it alone for 30 minutes, then it's ready to pitch.

I put 'em in the "cold cuts" drawer. (I don't have any cold cuts in there.) :)

Latest posts

Back