Sour Mash: How long to sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainer28

Reaction score
I have 4.5 gallons of wort that I put in an old bottling bucket with a handful of grain to sour. Ive been able to keep it about about 100-120 degrees.

How many hours would you let this go? I don't have a PH meter to measure PH.

I did 25 hours on my first kriek. Just tasted the wort and, while the sweetness of the unfermented stuff might be masking some of the sourness, I would say that no matter what your taste, you'll want to let it go longer. There's a noticeable tartness, but not quite true-to-style.

I did 25 hours on my first kriek. Just tasted the wort and, while the sweetness of the unfermented stuff might be masking some of the sourness, I would say that no matter what your taste, you'll want to let it go longer. There's a noticeable tartness, but not quite true-to-style.

It will taste much sweeter before it's fermented. If you're using Brettanomyces or other highly attenuative bugs/yeast it will get much more sour post-ferment.

That's good to hear!

I'm using the "Lambic blend" culture cocktail from Wyeast: Brett, sherry yeast, a Belgian wheat yeast, and lactic acid bacteria.

Unless I'm making a Berliner Weisse, I'll only pre-sour about half the wort. Krieks aren't necessarily particularly sour, in the grand scheme of sour beers. Kriek de Ranke is around 3.5, though pH alone can be misleading. Cherries contain mostly malic acid, which is perceived as "more sour" than lactic acid.

Latest posts

Back