Over carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikefromMichigan

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have looked at the many posts on too much carbonation in kegged beers but have not seen a question that I have.

I have been brewing for a year or so and have been bottling my brew. I decided to start kegging instead, and kegged my first bear last month, with great success. I kegged my latest beer last weekend and force carbonated at 30PSI for what I thought would be 24 hours. Unfortunately I had a leak in my gas supply, and my gas supply ran out before the carbonation was finished. I refilled the gas bottle, fixed the leak and force carbonated again for 24 hours. My beer is now way too over carbonated. I found a method on line of attaching the gas line to the beer out keg post which was supposed to force the CO2 out of the beer. I tried that but it is still over carbonated.

So here is my question. Can I refill a carbouy with the beer and add an air lock and wait until the CO2 has dispersed from the beer and then re-keg it or bottle it?

I just pop the pressure relief valve daiy until the carbonation is where I want it. Might take you a week if it's bad.

Hi everyone, I have looked at the many posts on too much carbonation in kegged beers but have not seen a question that I have.

I have been brewing for a year or so and have been bottling my brew. I decided to start kegging instead, and kegged my first bear last month, with great success. I kegged my latest beer last weekend and force carbonated at 30PSI for what I thought would be 24 hours. Unfortunately I had a leak in my gas supply, and my gas supply ran out before the carbonation was finished. I refilled the gas bottle, fixed the leak and force carbonated again for 24 hours. My beer is now way too over carbonated. I found a method on line of attaching the gas line to the beer out keg post which was supposed to force the CO2 out of the beer. I tried that but it is still over carbonated.

So here is my question. Can I refill a carbouy with the beer and add an air lock and wait until the CO2 has dispersed from the beer and then re-keg it or bottle it?

I wouldn't do that. The best thing to do is unhook it from the gas, and pull the pressure relief valve 10 times a day for one day. That should fix it.

If you don't have a pressure relief valve, you can use a pen to depress the gas "in" poppit to relief the pressure.

Then, once the beer is not overcarbed, hook it back up at 12 psi at 40 degrees (or a slightly higher pressure if your kegerator is warmer) and leave it alone. It will carb up well with a nice steady pressure.

If I purge too much of the CO2, should I recarbonate? The keg is at approx 66 -68 deg F.

Yes, unless you like flat beer. :D

Once you get the carbonation right, keep it at the proper pressure for the temperature you're storing the beer at. For room temperature, it's approximately 30 psi.

But if it's being dispensed at 30 psi, unless you have LONG beer line (like 25'), you'll get foamy pours.

What is the temperature of your kegerator? I'm wondering if you don't necessarily have overcarbed beer, but instead have short serving lines and warm beer which would cause great foaming and seemingly flat beer.

I’m storing the beer in my basement at approx 66-68 deg, as I do not have a kergerator yet. I could store it in a spare fridge that I have, but my brew is an ale, which I prefer drinking at room temperature. I know 68Deg is on the warm side, but I that is better than 40 deg in a fridge.

My beer line is 5ft, so maybe I just need to adjust the serving psi.

I’m storing the beer in my basement at approx 66-68 deg, as I do not have a kergerator yet. I could store it in a spare fridge that I have, but my brew is an ale, which I prefer drinking at room temperature. I know 68Deg is on the warm side, but I that is better than 40 deg in a fridge.

My beer line is 5ft, so maybe I just need to adjust the serving psi.

That's why you have foam, then. In order to carb up the beer at 68 degrees, you're going to need to keep the beer at 30 psi. To serve that, you'll need 25' lines. Warm beer just tends to foam lots, as well, so that's an issue.

I would like to keep and serve my ale at about 55 - 55deg. Not sure how to do this until I get a kegerator. I'll search for other messages for suggestions, and start a new thread if I have any questions. Thanks for your help.

Back