front loading freezer or fridge for fermenting..??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester

Reaction score
I have been looking around for a front loading fridge or freezer for fermentation... Is it really a wasty of space to get something like this instead of a chest freezer..?? I want to have the most space for carboys, but really dont want to have to lift full carboys in and out of a chest freezer.. any suggestions..?? Thanks again everyone...

Jester

I have a 10 cu. ft. chest freezer for fermenting. I use 7.9 gallon buckets with spigots and the system works great. Plenty of room for even Hefe kreuzens.

4569-FreezerFermenter.jpg

You can see the control sensor going to a bucket where it is taped. The stuff on right is some damp rid and a sippy cup with water and a thermometer probe in it. My buckets sit on some wood to keep them off the bottom and allow air circulation.

I've got a fridge from the 1960's that I got for free from freecycle. It's a freezer on the bottom style which is nice bc my buckets slide in at about waist height.

I can fit two...plus it was free!

if you get an upright freezer it has to be a frostless type. otherwise the coils are in the shelves, so you can't remove them, and thus can't fit a carboy inside.
ditto on the fridge...make sure you can remove enough shelves to fit stuff in there.

I still think a chest freezer is better...you don't need much height for this task..you need a footprint big enough for what you're doing.

Back