Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG your lack of capitalization and punctuation is making me mad!!!!!!! And the punctuation that is there is wrong!!!!!

:D:cross:

back to the beer lols.....

No, "is" is correct - the subject is "lack", which is singular, even though its a "lack" of more than one thing.

English is a tough language :)
well actually...

Lack isn't a subject, it is a quantitative adjective describing the amount of capitalisation and punctuation. However, in this case "capitalisation and punctuation" is a noun phrase, therefore "is" is the correct helping adverb.

You should have separated "omg" from the rest of the sentence with a comma or other punctuation. Also,
Your lack of capitalisation is ironic.

I am not a grammar Nazi, I just like put my two pence in.

We did that with fish several times when I was a kid. I'm not sure why anyone would brag about that if they didn't really do it.

I've done mud wrapped fish - large mouth bass during a scout camp out.... Wasn't bad at all.

well actually...

Lack isn't a subject, it is a quantitative adjective describing the amount of capitalisation and punctuation. However, in this case "capitalisation and punctuation" is a noun phrase, therefore "is" is the correct helping adverb.

You should have separated "omg" from the rest of the sentence with a comma or other punctuation. Also,
Your lack of capitalisation is ironic.

I am not a grammar Nazi, I just like put my two pence in.

My friend, I appreciate having someone double check my work. It hopefully leads to clearer thought processes and a more well rounded understanding. Like they say, you learn something the best when you have to teach it to others.

I don't think you are correct, though. Lack is most definitely the subject of that sentence, and is being used as a noun. See definition #1 http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lack. In fact, if the subject of that sentence was the phrase "capitalisation and punctuation", 'are' would have been the correct tense in order to agree, as the compound subject would require a plural verb.

Perhaps ironically, the prepositional phrase "of capitalisation and punctuation" is modifying the word "lack", not the other way around. What upsets him? The lack. The lack of what? The lack of capitalisation and punctuation.

I may be showing a specific American bias, as I'm not sure what the rules are elsewhere (although I can't imagine them being particularly different). If so, I apologize, and you can feel free to correct me.

In semi-related news, I'm currently reading through the epicness that is this thread. I'm at page 96 of 160. and its only getting better.

dead-horse.gif

Cheers! ;)

A funny thing I heard about the phrase "flogging a dead horse" (nothing to do with overhearing beer related humour but as nobody else seems to care anymore then why should I?)

I once heard a business leader give a talk at a seminar about the importance of understanding cultural nuances when trading internationally. Apparently he'd once given a speech in, I believe but can't quite recall with certainty, an eastern European country. He was being simultaneously translated from English into the local language and said something about the importance of monitoring performance because continuing to carry out activities that weren't working for you was "like flogging a dead horse".

The interpreter hesitated and looked at the speaker with a surprised expression. Thinking he hadn't been heard correctly he repeated the last line of the speach.

The translator spoke into the microphone and everyone present reacted either with shock or by bursting out laughing.

Directly translated that phrase meant something akin to spending some "quality time" with yourself if you know what I mean...

I'd imagine that beer would get a mixed reaction if it was ever sold there!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

A funny thing I heard about the phrase "flogging a dead horse" (nothing to do with overhearing beer related humour but as nobody else seems to care anymore then why should I?)

I once heard a business leader give a talk at a seminar about the importance of understanding cultural nuances when trading internationally. Apparently he'd once given a speech in, I believe but can't quite recall with certainty, an eastern European country. He was being simultaneously translated from English into the local language and said something about the importance of monitoring performance because continuing to carry out activities that weren't working for you was "like flogging a dead horse".

The interpreter hesitated and looked at the speaker with a surprised expression. Thinking he hadn't been heard correctly he repeated the last line of the speach.

The translator spoke into the microphone and everyone present reacted either with shock or by bursting out laughing.

Directly translated that phrase meant something akin to spending some "quality time" with yourself if you know what I mean...

I'd imagine that beer would get a mixed reaction if it was ever sold there!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Still makes sense as I would imagine doing that to a dead horse would still be pointless :D

I brought some homebrew to a cousin's house and poured a glass for my uncle that said he liked my beer last time. 20 mins later I go outside and he's playing fetch with the dog, trying to get her to let go of the stick. He says to me, "she likes this stick so much because I dumped out your beer on it". Um... what!? I notice his glass is empty and he's laughing! Guess who doesn't get any beer next time? Neither of them.

I brought some homebrew to a cousin's house and poured a glass for my uncle that said he liked my beer last time. 20 mins later I go outside and he's playing fetch with the dog, trying to get her to let go of the stick. He says to me, "she likes this stick so much because I dumped out your beer on it". Um... what!? I notice his glass is empty and he's laughing! Guess who doesn't get any beer next time? Neither of them.

Found a brewery name for you.

Dogs Dig It Brewing.

the correct translation is "with"

not so pointless now, is it? ;)

Well actually the subject is dead so it can no longer join in so the correct prouse would be to as it is modified for the deadness of the horse.
But you raise a valid point - who's to say the horse is the one getting pleasure out of the "flogging", therefore there may well be a point to the enduevor :D :tank: (by the way if you did not notice I have no idea what I am talking about with regards to English grammer... or is the in regards to... ????)

... and it's Thursday for me, so is it no longer racist?

Well actually the subject is dead so it can no longer join in so the correct prouse would be to as it is modified for the deadness of the horse.

But you raise a valid point - who's to say the horse is the one getting pleasure out of the "flogging", therefore there may well be a point to the enduevor :D :tank: (by the way if you did not notice I have no idea what I am talking about with regards to English grammer... or is the in regards to... ????)

... and it's Thursday for me, so is it no longer racist?

Well "irregardless" of that I believe with refers to the horse being used as a tool for flogging and when the subject is the implied I. Also think it's funny how my auto correct doesn't know irregardless is not a word.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Since we're on a 2 page derail here, let me continue by not getting on topic. I find the corporate iPhone (supplied by employer) is terrible for wanting to autocorrect a perfectly valid yet possibly obscure word for one that is entirely different and makes no sense in the conversation.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some crwth recordings to get back to. Yes, that's correct.

Since we're on a 2 page derail here, let me continue by not getting on topic. I find the corporate iPhone (supplied by employer) is terrible for wanting to autocorrect a perfectly valid yet possibly obscure word for one that is entirely different and makes no sense in the conversation.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some crwth recordings to get back to. Yes, that's correct.

I hate texting on my wife's iPhone for that very reason. Android/Window I type the first few letters of a word and it suggests a list of words I might be wanting to type, I select the one I want the phone puts a space and then suggests some likely words that would most likely follow the one I just selected - now that's smart!
iPhone - waits until I have finished typing my word and then suggests a completely different word which if I then press space it will "correct" my correct word for its suggested word - now that is unbelievably stupid, irregardless of which way you look at it!

The way it was explained to me is that bines wrap themselves around things to climb. Vines use offshoots to wrap around things and anchor themselves.

Bine
220px-Fockea_edulis_07_ies.jpg

Vine
220px-Brunnichia_ovata_.jpg

I got a book recommendation by Amazon so I checked it out. It's called "Bottoms up in Belgium." While I was browsing through the pages I came across the author's description of Tripel Karmeliet; "Tastier than a Duvel which is becoming my benchmark for these more than 8 per cent beers. And no desire to vomit as you approach the end of it, which is always a good sign with a beer in this category."

I just got the ingredients for my dampfbier a lil bit ago. I was just sitting here reading through all this,& thought about the name. The German's pronounce it dum pff bier...just like a steaming dump?...:D jk...

Had a book called "Beer Blast", the author was a guy that ran Heineken USA's PR department... Had so much funny stuff! Literally a belly laugh every page.

He had a chapter devoted to craft beer called "Samuel Adams: Brewer, Patriot, Pain in the A$$"...! That still has me ROFLMFAO!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back