Putting SWMBO on beer regimen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to post again so soon....but Blue Moon is part of the BMC....

Well yeah, its owned by Coors, common knowledge. But the OP even listed commercial brews pretty much either made by or distributed by/alongside BMC. The suggestion was merely to fuel the fire. Blue Moon is a good stepping stone into real beer for fans of the fizzy yellow.

Well yeah, its owned by Coors, common knowledge. But the OP even listed commercial brews pretty much either made by or distributed by/alongside BMC. The suggestion was merely to fuel the fire. Blue Moon is a good stepping stone into real beer for fans of the fizzy yellow.

I know...I just hate BlueMoon....Just had to get that off my chest...:D

It is also a good idea to make her try beers that you think she will not like, not just the beers women typically like. You may be shocked at what she finds tastey. With the fall quickly approaching I would suggest a Pumpkin Ale. People either hate it or love it, I being the latter. Shipyard and Smuttynose make great pumpkin brews.

That is the exact idea I am going. I am opening her up to every imaginable style of beer (and myself since I havn't experienced it all by any means)

Not to post again so soon....but Blue Moon is part of the BMC....

You guys are both right on. I have zero issues with BCM other than the fact I can't make them. If it turns out her favorite is a beer "made by or distributed by/alongside BMC" then so be it. I am just looking for a beer that I could reproduce since she has see how much I love brewing, and wants someway to relate to it.

If all else fails, I am picking up a carboy today and will have some apfelwein up in a few months :)

There is a really good thread on here somewhere about a Blue Moon clone. A guy who was on the project with them posted the recipe from memory if I recall. You should check into that. And j1, I can't drink the stuff anymore either. haha

I think "That Beer" that turned someone on is different for everyone and impossible to predict. My girlfriend actually had her eyes opened the first time she tried a Barleywine (a 3yo North Coast Brewing Old Stock). For me, it was a sampler flight at a brewpub.

I suggest finding a local brewery and getting a sampler of a bunch of different styles. Then she can sit down and try a half dozen different beers in one sitting and see what she likes and what she doesn't.

In my experience, hefeweizens are a good starting point for most people. Other things with low hop, moderate malt, and medium-strong body seem to be good: Irish dry stout, Irish amber, British pale ale, belgian blonde, witbier, saison... etc.

A little OT, but for a tasty drink, pour 2/3 of a glass of Bass and a shot of Baileys. Drop the shot glass in and chug. Mmmmm. Every girl I've served that to is hesitant to chug a beer (a non BMC beer especially), but after one, they're ready for number two. That's my winter warmer when it's cold out, I'm trapped inside, and need to kick things up a little.

PBR has 153 calories per 12 oz. for a difference of 77 calories per 12oz serving and the above example is for a "strong" beer at the least. So, roughly 8 "strong home brews" is equal to 12 PBR's for calories.

Cheers! :tank:

And to reiterate, an OG of 1.070 IS fairly high, which results in more calories. A far lower OG of around 1.050 is about average for your run of the mill 4-5% brews. This starting point would lead to far less calories.

I am very well aware that Guiness is far from a home or a craft brew. However to illustrate the point, most people see Guiness as this heavy monster; filled with calories. In actuality, Guiness only has 126 calories for a 12 oz glass - far fewer than PBR or most BMC brews. Remember, just because it looks lighter doesn't mean it has fewer calories!!!

Happy drinking.

Regimen. No t.

If she likes blue moon, then light or fruity or effervescent is her thing. So, saison's, maybe a lambic (lindemann's is very fruity and not too sour, raspberry/framboise is super sweet) and maybe braggots (beer/mead, kinda hard to find but very girl-friendly). Actually, meads (not technically beer tho) can be sweet and accessible by palais des dames. Whoever said young's dbl chocolate is on the right path I think (I hate the stuff myself).

Good Luck. My better half isn't interested in any beer of any kind. Too bad but more for me.

I've noticed that no one has commented on my suggestion of looking through the BJCP Guidelines, but there are many beers that are "female friendly" in the list. I can't seem to find Blue Moon among those listed, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's in there somewhere.

I looked at the OP's post count, and I believe that you're new to brewing, or at least new to the beer world. There are a lot of styles that you may not have experienced either, let alone your SWMBO. Look at the BJCP Guidelines, and try the commercial examples given. It'll open your eyes, and your SWMBO's eyes, to new flavors.

Back