Why is my final gravity so low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f1oored

Reaction score
So I just did a simple IPA recipe with only 11lbs of brit 2 row. My OG was 1.054 (because my efficiency isn't that great yet). I'm using a dry notty yeast. I started it about 4 days ago and just checked the gravity today for the first time. It should have stopped around 1.012-1.016 but it is already down to 1.000. I mashed at 154 for 60min. Anyone have any guesses as to what happened?

There was a little foam at the top of the collection tube so i just left the hydrometer in untill the foam went away. I just rechecked it (same sample) and it was below 1.000 in the .994 range. So I pulled the hydromter out and it had about 1 cm of beer inside of it. There was a small crack in the tip that was letting in liquid. Must have cracked after I checked the original gravity.

There was a little foam at the top of the collection tube so i just left the hydrometer in untill the foam went away. I just rechecked it (same sample) and it was below 1.000 in the .994 range. So I pulled the hydromter out and it had about 1 cm of beer inside of it. There was a small crack in the tip that was letting in liquid. Must have cracked after I checked the original gravity.

That'll do it.

Latest posts

Back