fruit flavor oil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm...it sounds like you'd have to make it water soluble by mixing it with arabic gum. I wonder if that could adversely affect the final beer. I've heard oils can go rancid and are less stable in beer, but it sounds like it's exactly what goes into it anyway when you use any other fruit flavoring. If you could make it water soluble by mixing it with alcohol instead of arabic gum, then you might be on to something.

I have heard not so good things about fruit extracts, why not use real fruit?

Also, these are oils... and candy flavorings at that. There are other ways to save money on brewing, I dont know that Id go to this extreme.

Hmm...it sounds like you'd have to make it water soluble by mixing it with arabic gum. I wonder if that could adversely affect the final beer. I've heard oils can go rancid and are less stable in beer, but it sounds like it's exactly what goes into it anyway when you use any other fruit flavoring. If you could make it water soluble by mixing it with alcohol instead of arabic gum, then you might be on to something.

That is a big issue, you don't want oil based extracts. Oil and head retention don't mix. You want alcohol based extract, not oil.

Unfortunately I am sitting on a bottle of orange oil extract because I got all excited thinking I finally found good orange flavoring.

:mad:

Back