two yeast and one brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillbillyDeluxe

Reaction score
Hey all, what are your thoughts on mixing yeast? In particular i get some brewers best kits with dry yeast in thembut i buy some liquid yeast and add to the recipe too. I still use the dry yeast the same way though. I also add some yeast nutrient (ammoniumphosphate) and urea. I know thats more for meads and wines but it seems i like to try weird sh@t. Send me some feedback (even if you think i screwed up).

Well, you run into the possibility of one yeast being dominant over the other, which is quite likely since they compete for nutrients. At least in theory, you may be wasting money on the liquid yeast if the dry yeast dominates and the liquid yeast does not get a chance to express its characteristics.

That said, the major yeast companies do sell yeast blends that you may be interested in trying out. You can also experiment with stalling a fermentation by cold crashing for an extended period of time, racking to another fermenter (thereby getting rid of most of the original yeast), and then pitching a large, active starter of another yeast in there.

You could also split the batch into 2 fermentors and use 1 yeast for each then mix the results.

Back