Off flavors after kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOISEpollution

Reaction score
I recently brewed a milk stout. I kegged it, set the regulator to 33 (3x maintenance psi) and left it for 24 hours. After 24 hours I released the pressure and set it to maintenance psi and served. It wasn't completely carbonated but it was good enough for me and tasted fine for the first couple of days. Now it's been four or five days and the taste has gotten progressively worse as had the carbonation. Carbonation is extremely low and I'm starting to taste a lot more of an alcohol flavor. Anyone have any ideas? My lines, shank, and faucet are all brand new as is the keg that this is in. Anyone have any ideas what's causing this.

My guess is that your beer is starting to absorb the Co2 and you are getting a carbonic bite. It needs to condition. Also, your ferm temps and time on the yeast can cause an alcohol burn type of taste. That will mellow with time. As for it getting "flatter", the only thing that would cause that is a leak, or your serving pressure is too low to maintain proper Co2 levels.

Fermentation temp was about 68-70 for exactly 3 weeks. No secondary. How would I go about checking for leaks and how would I fix it? O rings or all new poppets?

if you had a leak your tank would be empty by now. You're beer might need time to condition just like maffewl said

Back