Monolith Imperial Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormageddon

Reaction score
OG: 1.104
FG: 1.027
ABV: 10.3%
Color: 41 SRM
Bitterness: 54 IBU
Boil Length: 90 min.
Boil Volume: 6.8ga.
Batch Volume: 5.5ga.

Grains:
15lbs. - Pale 2-row Malt
2lbs. - Flaked Oats*
1lb. - Carafoam
1lb. - Crystal 60L
1lb. - Malted Oat
8oz. - Black Malt
8oz. - Chocolate Malt
8oz. - Roasted Barley
8oz. - Dark Brown Sugar

Hops:
0.75oz. - Chinook 13%aa(FWH) (29 IBUs)
0.75oz. - Chinook 13%aa(30min)(19 IBUs)
0.5oz. - Chinook 13%aa(10min) (6 IBUs)

Yeast:
2 packs - Safale-04 (rehydrated)

Single Infusion Mash, Full Body, Batch Sparge:
Mash with 6.75ga. water heated to 168F to steep at about 156F for 45 minutes. Sparging with 2.7ga. water heated to 168F for a combined boil volume of about 6.8ga. after grain absorption. (I haven't tested the evaporation rate on my pot yet, but I calculated enough boil volume for 11% throughout the 90 minute boil even though it will probably be less).

*Oats will be baked in oven at 300F until brown the night before

I love stouts, this is going to be my first attempt at making one (not to mention that I'm new to making recipes in the first place), but I'm not going to be able to start it until I finish buying supplies to make myself a mash/lauter tun (probably in about a month when I get the money for it). So for now all my measurements on the beer are estimates from beersmith. In the meantime any suggestions on the recipe are appreciated.

Sounds yummy,

Maybe add .25lb of roasted barley to give it more of a traditional stout stoutiness, but not that important.

Make the 90 min hop addition a First Wort Hopping (FWH)
add 0.5oz Chinook at 30 min and 0.5oz Chinook at 10 min.

Thanks for pointing out the roasted barley, I actually had 1/2 lb. in the recipe just forgot to transcribe it, would have made my numbers off without it. So stick to only Cinook hops at 1.5oz total? Calculations in beer smith take the bitter down to about 40 IBU.

What is a fair IBU range for an imperial oatmeal stout?

Also I wonder if it could benefit the flavor of the beer to "dry hop" with some more flaked oats baked in cinnamon?

Back