Gelatin in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
Well, I'm trying out this "no secondary" thing on my latest brew. So I have a carboy of Edwort's pale ale that's been in there about a week. It's good and fermented out, so this is when I would normally rack it to a secondary and add some gelatin. But I'm not going to do that this time, because people say it's unnecessary. But should I put the gelatin in the primary then?

It sure seems weird because there's still a ring of scum around the top and some foam and stuff still floating on the beer. I guess if I just let it sit here another week or two and am careful when I put it in the bottle bucket it should be fine, but it's weird. Normally after I racked to a secondary it would be in a nice clean container, but maybe the advantage there is only psychological.

I probably wouldn't. Only because of the way the gelatin is introduced into the secondary. Usually dissolved, cooled, then your beer is racked in on top of it.

The gelatin really isn't necessary unless your intention is to try and clear your beer.

If you're not going to hassle with transferring your beer to secondary in an attempt to clear your beer, why would you want to try to add the gelatin to the primary? Seems like an unecessary step in this case.

Of course the gelatin is to try to clear the beer. I've been trying everything to get clear beer, and people on this forum say that NOT racking to a secondary can give clearer beer. That's why I'm trying it but I'm confused if I should just skip the gelatin, and how it can be worth it.

I can brew crystal clear beer with a whirlfloc tablet in the boil, good cold break, proper yeast selection, and of course time using only a primary fermenter. Your best bet is to give a try and see if you are happy with the results. Homebrewing is all about developing practices/processes which produce what you would consider as delicious beer.

OG2620 said:
and of course time using only a primary fermenter.

Of course, time is the cure all, but a lot of are not that patient. I want grain to glass in 14 days and crystal clear. Gelatin helps with that.

I bottle-condition. Filtering requires expensive equipment, and I think it strips the yeast out.

I agree, that is why I would not filter. But as I said, I can get crystal clear beer with just a primary and bottle conditioning. Try it. You might be surprised.

I'm with trent. I gelatin every-single-batch.

A. It drops the vast majority of the yeast in like 24 hours.
B. My beers are brilliantly clear.
C. They seem to mature quicker.
D. Who doesn't want clearer beer?

BetterSense said:
do you put the gelatin in the primary, though?

It depends on dry hopping. I put gelatin into kegs that don't get dry hopped. I put gelatin in the primary on beers that get dry hopped to maximize the dry hops as there is a debate that gelatin eats up aroma so I avoid it all together.

Does clear beer taste better?

Assuming it isn't cloudy due to chill-haze. Yes, yes it does. Any particulate that is heavy enough for gelatin to fine out will impact taste. I don't care what people's empirical opinions are. Try it yourself. Gelatin half a batch and see which you like better.

Bettersense: I gelatin in the keg. So i rack straight from secondary to the keg, chill it down to 37*, then add gelatin. You could easily do the same in the primary (I've done it before). Gelatin really works best if you crash the beer down to fridge temps first though, so it's just easier for me to do it straight in the keg.

Every time I have used gelatin I have done so on the primary. I just sprinkle the boiled gelatin on top of the wort, so it gently settles through the whole beer, grabbing yeast as it goes.

Latest posts

Back