Extract Recipe Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWiggles

Reaction score
So having my first batch fermenting currently, I'm already planning another.
However, I would like to have one to call my own so I don't plan on using another kit. What I'm looking for here are some suggestions to improve this recipe I came up with using Beersmith. Be gentle, as I really have no idea how to put together a recipe.

Witzbold Weizen
Weizen/Weissbier

Type: Extract

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Mr Wiggles
Boil Size: 2.43 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (3 Gallon)

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.40 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 61.97 %

2.20 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 30.99 %

0.25 lb Caramel Wheat Malt (46.0 SRM) Grain 3.52 %

0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.52 %

1.30 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 11.6 IBU

0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 1.9 IBU

6.50 oz Raspberry Extract (Bottling 5.0 min) Misc

1 Pkgs German Wheat (Brewtek #CL-0920) Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.73 %
Bitterness: 13.5 IBU
Est Color: 8.6 SRM

I think you will find that 6.50 oz Raspberry Extract is Waaaay too much.
Most people use no more than 2oz. Start out with a small amount and give it a taste. You can always add more, but you cant take any out if you use too much!

Be careful with the raspberry extract. 6.5oz seems like a lot. I used 1-1.5oz of blueberry extract in a 5 gal batch of wheat and I can definitely taste the blueberry.

Ok, I wasn't sure how much would work and 6.5 was the default measurement on Beersmith. I don't really want too much Raspberry flavor, if anything I'm just looking for a hint of it.
Any other suggestions? Different/more or less grains? Maybe even a complimentary spice addition?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think it looks good as is. I'm interested to know how a caramel/chocolate wheat malt compares to its barley equivalent.

Don't add spices if you still want it to be a weizen.

So I just finished brewing up the mash for this one, although there were a couple substitutions. I had to replace the LME with 5lbs Wheat DME as well as replacing the caramel wheat malt with Briess Carawheat. The mash looked fantastic, although a bit darker than the average Weizen. The OG was estimated at 1.044 but I managed 1.048 somehow (probably inaccuracies in the measurement lines on the bucket but so what). Also I ended up using WhiteLabs hefeweizen liquid yeast. Plus, I just took a gravity reading for my Bareknuckle Brown ale and hit the nail on the head with 1.012 after only 5 days, but I'll leave it to condition for another week then bottle condition for another 2-4 weeks.

Back