Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munchkin

Reaction score
Brewed my first yesterday using some steeping grains, 4.4kg DME, Perle, East Kent Goldings, and WL London ale yeast. It was exciting to see a dark color wort in the carboy for the first time.

OG 1.082, Starter pitched at 71F

Its currently fermenting strong at 68F (lowest I can currently keep it)

Any suggestions or tips on where to go from here? My current plan is to leave in primary for 4 weeks, rack to secondary and leave maybe another month before either kegging or bottling (havent decided) Im assuming the process will be similar to any other strong beers.

Any suggestions or tips on where to go from here? My current plan is to leave in primary for 4 weeks, rack to secondary and leave maybe another month before either kegging or bottling (havent decided) Im assuming the process will be similar to any other strong beers.

Big beers like this usually need an extended time in secondary to condition and fully develop. I'm suggesting 5-7 months. Then, when you do bottle the beer, the yeast will probably be exhausted so add about 1/3 pkt. of dry yeast to the bottling bucket so it will carb properly. Bottle condition another 2-4 weeks, chill and serve.

And unless you really enjoy drinking this very sturdy beer, you probably will want to bottle rather than keg. I like a good RIS but can't imagine how long it would take for me to drain a keg of the stuff. Would rather keep it in smaller quantities that I can enjoy as I choose without tying up a keg and the space in the kegerator.

Big beers like this usually need an extended time in secondary to condition and fully develop. I'm suggesting 5-7 months. Then, when you do bottle the beer, the yeast will probably be exhausted so add about 1/3 pkt. of dry yeast to the bottling bucket so it will carb properly. Bottle condition another 2-4 weeks, chill and serve.

And unless you really enjoy drinking this very sturdy beer, you probably will want to bottle rather than keg. I like a good RIS but can't imagine how long it would take for me to drain a keg of the stuff. Would rather keep it in smaller quantities that I can enjoy as I choose without tying up a keg and the space in the kegerator.

Excellent Point as far as bottling vrs kegging. I will probably go with that suggestion. I will age as long as I can in the carboy, maybe not as long as you mentioned but we will see. Unfortunately the current fermentation temp has struck 72F, Ive probably blown off around a gallon of beer into a bowl via the blow off tube. I didnt expect it to kick off this fast and get so vigorous. In the future I hope to have a fridge or freezer to better control this.

when you say its at 68F, is that ambient? if so (and really even if thats wort temp), get that colder asap. big beers should not be fermented warm, they will get fusels which are strong alcohol flavors and english yeast can pretty nasty warm as well. look into a swamp cooler (basically bucket, water & ice), you can definitely get it cooler.

when you say its at 68F, is that ambient? if so (and really even if thats wort temp), get that colder asap. big beers should not be fermented warm, they will get fusels which are strong alcohol flavors and english yeast can pretty nasty warm as well. look into a swamp cooler (basically bucket, water & ice), you can definitely get it cooler.

Ill see what i can throw together here, thanks

Age it for a few months at minimum. I made a very good RIS in December of 2012. Added bourbon, french oak, and vanilla to 1/2 of the batch. Aged both batches for 6 months and bottled. It was ok at first, but very good around 8 months. At 1 year it was fantastic, but sadly I had drunk most of it by then :(

The beer is strong, but not that strong.

You are better off bottling a week after fermentation is complete, and trying one every once in a while along the way. That way you get to know your beer, and enjoy getting to know your beer. What if something went wrong, and all that waiting is for naught?

When its bottled and carbonated, it is easier to monitor, and when it seems really good, then you know exactly when (and can) to drink it!

Age it for a few months at minimum. I made a very good RIS in December of 2012. Added bourbon, french oak, and vanilla to 1/2 of the batch. Aged both batches for 6 months and bottled. It was ok at first, but very good around 8 months. At 1 year it was fantastic, but sadly I had drunk most of it by then :(

I feel your pain! Ill do what i can keep my paws off.

thanks for the link mikek

The beer is strong, but not that strong.

You are better off bottling a week after fermentation is complete, and trying one every once in a while along the way. That way you get to know your beer, and enjoy getting to know your beer. What if something went wrong, and all that waiting is for naught?

When its bottled and carbonated, it is easier to monitor, and when it seems really good, then you know exactly when (and can) to drink it!

So bottle aging rather than bulk. I like this idea since it frees up space as well as a carboy. Bottles are alot easier to store away somewhere. I believe the recipe looks for an abv of about 8.5%. Im assuming ill still be in the neighbourhood of 4 weeks before fermentation has completed

Back