Looking for some direction.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty660

Reaction score
I have wanted to get into brewing beer for sometime and will be getting a kit this Monday.
I am not a big beer drinker maybe only a couple a week and have only been drinking it for a few months so I don't have much knowledge.
So having said that what would be a good type/flavor to start with. I am not concerned about any light beers. I am going to start with an extract.
Thanks in advance.

My advice to you,

Go to your local Bevmo, Costco, or whatever store you have near you that has a decent selection of "Good" beer, and buy a varity of different types of beer (IPa,Brown ale, porter, stout, wheat) and taste test all of them. Keep notes, write down what you like and don't like about each of them. Find one that you like the most and buy a kit for that style.

Stay away from lagers for now because you will not be able to make one yet because of your lack of a cold enough place to ferment one.

The nice thing about home brewing is you are able to brew beer styles that you like. The first beer I ever brewed was an IPA kit. I love IPAs, so what I did was buy a kit and some extra hops to "spike" the kit with. It was great.

Dont be in a hurry, keep reading about it, and prepare to depart on a life long journey to find that perfect brew! And remember, the fun is in the journey not arriving at the destination!

PS...Welcome:mug:

Ditto! Sometimes you can find cases that are a variety pack or hit a local watering hole that serves craft brews and sample the lot and like smitty said take some notes. Find a tasting website and do a little reading so you know what to look for when tasting brews.

Good Luck!

I am currently brewing an Altbier kit from Brewer's Best, so far as I sample the brew it's pretty much as the kit says, a balance between malty and hoppy, not too extreme in either direction, a nice color too.

I don't think you could go wrong with an American Amber, Scottish Ale, or even an Oktoberfest. I would avoid extremes such as some stouts and IPA's unless you're sure it fits your profile.

My first batch was a Canadian Ale. Third Batch was an Australian Ale. A general light ale would be good to start. Unless you like hop bombs, stay away from the IPAs until you understand the styles more.

Also, if any retail place around you does the "mix your own six pack" thing, that's a great way to same a case or so of different beers and hey, if you hate them, you only have one bottle of it.

Back