Bottling in Mason Jars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, one very good reason. They're not designed to handle the pressure you'll produce while carbing and you'll end up with flat beer

Flat beer would be a good thing. I thought you might get shards of glass embedded in your ass! I bet they would hold pressure though, but bottles and caps are cheap, why bother?

Before I started home brewing I was drinking a lot of beer to keep the bottles and caps. I have about 100 twist off cap bottles; before I bottle I boil the caps and use a pair of vise grips and you'll almost need a bottle opener to get them off. I havn't had any problems yet and I'm on brew #8. Being a college student I was gonna drink the beer anyways but it seems like I got a bunch of bottles for free; a lot of my buddies contributed also.

Dude, bottle caps cost like a buck fifty for a gross. I mean, I was a poor college student too, but not that poor.

And twist-offs? Well, I could tell you why that's not a good idea, but you're a poor college student and I guess I can understand where you're coming from. Nobody on campus has the money to buy Sam Adams and even the bars don't sell more than a couple a night, so coming by pop tops can be difficult. You have my condolences.

[/hijack]

Latest posts

Back