Odd smell from yeast vial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadsupporter

Reaction score
Odd smell from yeast vial

So i recently pitched some yeast using three vials of white labs.

When opened two of the tubes were of normal 'yeasty' smell; while the third tube has a semi-strong sulphur odor. Yes; they were all the same type of yeast.

My question is will I now ruin my batch of beer cause I added the odd smelling tube to the wort??????

** It was mailed ordered and all had the same 'best before date', but if it was a shipping error i think all would have got the sulphur odor and not just the one tube.

Any help is appreciated.

Some yeast produce sulphur, like lagers for instance.

My advice is not to sniff your yeast tubes, then you won't worry what something smells like.....;)

Its not like I delibretly sniffed that tube [at least not initally; and only to compare] ; just the odor was that strong to get me to wonder if I had a bad tube or something.

Yes; I was careful as not to get too near the tube as to get germs inside the tube.

Fermentation is ugly and stinky, even when perfectly normal....New brewers rend to worry too much about what things look and smell like pre- and during fermentation....It's only when everything is done, is that stuff usually indicative of something.

Back