Devil's Den Strong Belgian Golden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't heard of Devil's Den, is it a commercial beer you're copying?
The recipes I have for stong goldens/ blonds have lots of pilsner malt, so a 90 minute boil for driving off the DMS. And hopping with hallertau, styrian goldings and/ or saaz 15 IBUs at 90 min, 10 IBUs at 30 min and 5 IBUs at flameout. (that's basicly the hop schedule from Brew Like a Monk)
I'd even bump up the 30 and 0 addditions a bit or else add a 5 minute.
(If you want a specific recipe for a strong blond I can give you a good one, but it might not be the Devils Den)

Catfish, this is the Devil’s Den Strong Belgian Golden Ale recipe.

Strong, yet deceptively pale in hue. Earthy overtones with a dry finish.
7 lbs. light malt extract
2 1/2 lbs. Belgian Pilsner malt
2 oz. Belgian Aromatic malt
1 1/2 oz. Styrian Golding hops (bittering)
1/2 oz. Czech Saaz hops (flavoring)
1/2 oz. Czech Saaz hops (finishing)
1 1/2 lbs. light candy sugar (or corn/cane sugar)
1 pkg. Burton water salts
1 pkg. Safbrew T-58 ale yeast or or White Labs Belgian Golden Ale, Belgian Ale, or Wyeast #1388, #1762, #3463)
1 pkg. Bru-Vigor (yeast food)
3/4 cup corn sugar (priming)
O.G. - 1.072
F.G. - 1.015

Looking at the recipe I would consider a few changes. Pilsner malt extract if you can find it, if not then the lightest stuff you can. I guess you're doing partial mash on it. Go with a 90 minute boil and do hop additions at 60 min, 30-20min, 0 min. Use corn or cane sugar (the light candi sugar is the same exact thing, but expensive). Skip the water salts, it is only a partial mash so you needn't worry about the mash and the salts will just add a harshness you may be sad about later (VERY sad about if you use the whole package). With the money you save on sugar and water salts, you can pitch two packs of yeast.
ferment 2 days at 60˚F and then let the temps rise.

Sounds like a great beer!

Back