Munich Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sacreddog717

Reaction score
I was wanting to brew an IPA or APA with Munich extract. I see that Morebeer has that now. They are my LHBS. I've never used munich at all. I wanted to get some opinions on flavor and also how much to use. I do extract with steeping grains. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. The makeup of the extract is "Made with 50% Munich and 50% Pilsner malt in a multi-step mashing process you can count on this extract to deliver malt flavor but still have a high degree of fermentability." Thanks.

I use Munich in my IPAs but it's ALWAYS less than 10% of the grain bill (usually more like 5%). Munich gives a distinct sweetness and you'd be quite off-style if you used only Munich extract. Try half a pound of Munich Extract and the rest Light/Pale extract.

If I was making an IPA, I'd probably pass on the Munich extract since it'd be super malty and rich, totally unlike an IPA.

If you want to use Munich, you can steep it. Sort of- if you take a pound of Munich malt and add it to your crystal or other steeping grains, and keep it at 150-160 degrees for 45 minutes, you've mashed it. Munich malt can convert itself so it can be used like that.

I have used munich extract to do an IPA. I was a fool and used it at 100%. It turned out to be a really good beer but rich and malty. Hard to enjoy more than one or two at a time. If I were to use it again I do not think I would exceed 20%.

Back