Ash in Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordo07

Reaction score
For this current batch and my most recent batch that I had in my secondary, I noticed almost like flakes of what looked similar to white ash building up on the sides of my carboy (betterbottle). It smells fine, and when I tasted a sample, it tasted like roomtempreture flat beer, so I don't think its an infection. Therefore my question is, if anyone else has had this happen to them, and if so what it is, and if i need to take care of it and how to go about doing that.

Did you use Irish moss? It could be some discolored moss, or some hop bits. I've seen all sorts of strange stuff in beer. Fermentation is ugly most of the time, and usually fine. :D

sometimes i do you irish moss, but not this time, it is a seasoned holiday ale, so i may just be floaties

Did you use Irish moss? It could be some discolored moss, or some hop bits. I've seen all sorts of strange stuff in beer. Fermentation is ugly most of the time, and usually fine. :D

I agree in that fermentation is relatively ugly. Consider it like the reverse of your digestive tract. It starts out looking like $hit and ends up looking like delicious beer. Most likely what's going on.

Back