Bayou Classic KAB6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long did it take to boil 32 gallons?

We began heating the wort as soon as we collected a few gallons and it came to a boil before we finished the sparge. The boil duration was no different with the large drum than with any smaller kettle. The boil off rate was fairly high at 2.5 gph with a strong boil, but as this was our first run with the SS drum, we had that figured into the batch size. I will be bottling my share of that brew on or about March 1st. It should be a good one by all indications.

We began heating the wort as soon as we collected a few gallons and it came to a boil before we finished the sparge. The boil duration was no different with the large drum than with any smaller kettle. The boil off rate was fairly high at 2.5 gph with a strong boil, but as this was our first run with the SS drum, we had that figured into the batch size. I will be bottling my share of that brew on or about March 1st. It should be a good one by all indications.

Did you place the drum directly on the burner? Or did you use something under the drum to distribute the heat even? How did you drum hold up?

Did you place the drum directly on the burner? Or did you use something under the drum to distribute the heat even? How did you drum hold up?

Yes, the drum was placed directly on the burner stand without any type of heat diffuser. The drum held up just fine and there were no scorching problems or anything like that at all.

Back