pressure canning starter wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I bought a pressure cooker about 6 months ago with the idea of using it to can starter wort and possibly making a steam infusion system. The steam system idea has been put on the back burner so to speak, but I would like to start canning some wort for starters but I have never used a pressure cooker and I have a couple of questions.

I will have to reread the instructions that came with the canner but..

How much water will I need to add to a 20qt canner to can wort?

How long will I have to "boil" for?

What amount of pressure will I need?

Any one have a good reference for canning food?

How much water will I need to add to a 20qt canner to can wort?
1 inch

How long will I have to "boil" for?
25 minutes on a rack so the jars are not on the bottom and the lids are loose on the ball jars so pressure can get out.

What amount of pressure will I need?
The standard pressure used by the pressure cooker.

Usually the instructions and recipe book that come with a pressure cooker talk about this but there is a lot on the internet if you search.

The lids of the ball jars should be depressed after cooling which indicates that they have a vacuum inside = Good. Lid not depressed = bad (no vacuum).

I'm also interested in the subject, and not an expert yet...
One factor to consider is whether to use hops, which are anti-baterial.

Home canning is focused on destroying botulinum bacteria spores.
High acid foods like tomatoes are boiled (212*F).
Low acid foods like beans are pressure canned (240*F).
Also, food has to last at least over the winter and I usually use my starter wort within a few weeks.

I will have to reread the instructions that came with the canner but..?
Focus on the "low acid canning" section.

How much water will I need to add to a 20qt canner to can wort??
Enough to last the cycle - about 2 inches.

How long will I have to "boil" for??
Good question. The times in canning guides are for solid foods.
I would think that liquids are easier, so I went with 30 mins at 10psi for pint jars.
Plus 10 minutes at the beginning, without the weight - to remove the air.

What amount of pressure will I need??
10 psi below 1000ft elevation, 15 psi above.

There are a number of canning guides published online by universities and government agencies.

I guess we have a difference of opinion.

The following was taken from the text in my guide.

Pressure does not destroy microorganisms, but high temperatures applied for an adequate period of time do kill microorganisms. The success of destroying all microorganisms capable of growing in canned food is based on the temperature obtained in pure steam, free of air, at sea level. At sea level, a canner operated at a gauge pressure of 10.5 lbs provides an internal temperature of 240° F. At altitudes above 1,000 feet, they must be operated at canner pressures of 10 instead of 5, or 15 instead of 10, PSI.

Most canners standard pressure is 15 LBS/SQ in.

I have used 1 inch of water in my pressure cooker and never ran out of water but as stated above by egolla 2 inches would be Ok too as you do not want to run out during the boil. See how much water remains after you cool in the pot. More water takes longer to come to a boil but we do want to be safe above all.

I looked at the PDF mentioned by Boo Boo and it is very good info too. It explains everything you need to know.

Just make sure you vent steam out the relief valve for about 5 mins after the water starts boiling. This purges the air from the canner and makes the process more efficient.

I bought a pressure cooker about 6 months ago with the idea of using it to can starter wort

I have found that having sterile canned wort around makes me much more willing to do starters. :)

I use an inch or two of water, 15mins/15psi.

Starters made from canned wort are easy and if you need a big starter for 10 to 12 gallons of lager the canned wort saves a lot of expense, time and effort which makes brewing more enjoyable. It's like having a secret weapon in brewing. :mug:

Starters made from canned wort are easy and if you need a big starter for 10 to 12 gallons of lager the canned wort saves a lot of expense, time and effort which makes brewing more enjoyable. It's like having a secret weapon in brewing. :mug:[/QUote

exactly what I was thinking

Latest posts

Back