Kentucky Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Professor

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
US-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Tasting in the carbonation phase shows this to be very good per the note in the post.
This is my second try at a Kentucky Common Cream Ale.

The first was a 2.5 gallon all grain batch and it was slightly on the bitter side.

This second attempt at a 5.0 gallon partial of the (almost) same recipe seems much more mellow. Nice cream ale with some crystal and slight smokey flavor.

3.0 lbs Northern Brewer Liquid Gold Malt Extract
3.5 lbs Six Row
2.0 lbs Flaked Corn
0.5 Munich
0.5 Crystal 40
0.5 Crystal 120
0.5 Cherrywood Smoked Malt

0.6 oz Cluster @ 60
0.5 oz Cluster @ 20

Safale US-05

Step mash:
20 min @ 104
30 min @ 120
20 min @140
60 min @ 158
10 min @ 170

Love to hear if anyone else likes this.

Here is a pour pic of the beer.

10kca_pour.jpg

Looks interesting/good, although it's not quite to style. Guidelines from 1902 suggest 25-30% Corn (granted you are doing PM, not an issue here), and a small percentage of black and caramel malt (doesn't specify, one place says 1-2% which is what I use and like). Still trying to perfect mine though.

I read what little there was about Kentucky Common Cream Ale when I first started on the recipe. I'd like to see a link with the Guidelines from 1902.

Since many sites I read mentioned sour mash I think that is my biggest break from what I read. I am not that fond of sour beer. But then I read one description as slightly smokey and that sounded great. I skipped any sour mash and added the smoked malt.

My crystal 40 and 120 additions have to count as caramel malt additions I believe.

Yea I don't know where the other sites got their info. I did a lot of research on it and compiled everything I found on my website, but it is temporarily offline. Here is the book from 1902. I go by this. I don't think a "common beer" would be sour. How many people like to throw back a bunch of sour beers after a long day at work? I will admit I started doing and probably helped spread the sour kentucky common beer, although I only wanted a hint of sourness. I've since stopped completely and just do a 90min mash.

Hopefully I don't come across as a ****** or anything. Just tryin to help ya out. Hell there isn't much info about it anyway. IMO I think 1lb of Crystal would be a little much, and I don't think the smoked malt fits the style - however I'm not trying to say the recipe is bad in any way. Actually looks pretty good.

If you want we can take this to PM so we don't clutter your recipe thread.

http://books.google.com/books?id=pp...ndy-book brewing&pg=PA818#v=onepage&q&f=false

Your link is a source I have not seen before. VERY interesting. Small bit about Kentucky Common, and also a little about California Steam Beer, I hope to brew a non Anchor Steam steam beer soon.

Still looking through your link but personally I see no problem with discussion that could be of interest to anyone that might be interested in the recipe being included in this thread.

Back