Question on Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJDore

Reaction score
Planning to go to my local HB store today to pick up ingredients. I've seen recipes now for both an extract version as well as a partial mash. As this is only my 3rd batch, these are the only two I'm comfortable with/setup for at this point. For those who have brewed these versions, is there a distinguishable difference in the taste?

I'm not going to be much help at all, because I've only ever brewed the AG version of this recipe, but I just wanted to say, you picked a great beer to brew. I drained this so quickly, it isn't even funny, and it was a huge kick amongst my friends, most of which are BMCers.

Have you done a PM brew before? If not, I would encourage you to try it and challenge yourself a little bit. However, only you can determine if you're ready. As you move on to more and more complex recipes and processes, you need to make sure that you're comfortable with what you're doing before moving on. If you've made a decent beer using an extract + steeping grains, then I would say, up the ante.

As far as taste difference between the two, I can't comment on that.

I'm not going to be much help at all, because I've only ever brewed the AG version of this recipe, but I just wanted to say, you picked a great beer to brew. I drained this so quickly, it isn't even funny, and it was a huge kick amongst my friends, most of which are BMCers.

Have you done a PM brew before? If not, I would encourage you to try it and challenge yourself a little bit. However, only you can determine if you're ready. As you move on to more and more complex recipes and processes, you need to make sure that you're comfortable with what you're doing before moving on. If you've made a decent beer using an extract + steeping grains, then I would say, up the ante.

As far as taste difference between the two, I can't comment on that.

Thanks for the reply. The second batch I brewed was a partial mash kit, a Brewer's Best IPA. I'm racking it to secondary tonight so I can't really comment on how I did. I know I followed the instructions to a tee and hit the estimated OG dead on so I must have done something right. However, those instructions didn't include sparging and the more I read on that on these boards the more I realize I've still got a lot to learn.

I'm leaning towards the PM version at this point. I will take both recipes, though, in case my local HBS doesn't have exactly what I need.

Thanks for the reply. The second batch I brewed was a partial mash kit, a Brewer's Best IPA. I'm racking it to secondary tonight so I can't really comment on how I did. I know I followed the instructions to a tee and hit the estimated OG dead on so I must have done something right. However, those instructions didn't include sparging and the more I read on that on these boards the more I realize I've still got a lot to learn.

I'm leaning towards the PM version at this point. I will take both recipes, though, in case my local HBS doesn't have exactly what I need.

If you hit your OG, and followed the instructions, I'm sure you'll get a good beer (unless your effed up other things :cross:).

I have my 4th batch of this in cold crashing right now... You picked a great beer to try. I cannot keep it stocked up between my sons and friends.

Back