Should I pitch a second yeast? Need opinions asap...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mallupappi

Reaction score
So my club brewed at my house yesterday. When we tried to activate the yeast, I think it went dormant, we accidentally left it out in 40 degree weather for about 20 minutes. We decided to pitch it anyway thinking it was probably just dormant.

We made the agreement that if didn't see any activity within 24 hours I would run out to the local brew mart and pick up some yweast (the liquid kind you can slap to activate).

I checked this morning before I left and noticed no activity so I picked up the yeast. I talked to the guy at the store and he said that since the yeast we originally pitched was dry and this was a wet yeast they should work well in harmony. SOOOOO.... I come home and activate the yeast, I decide to look at the carboy again and LO AND BEHOLD WE HAVE ACTIVITY. So now I don't know if I should pitch this already activated yeast... opinions?

Before you answer a little more background:
- This is our second batch. Both have been Irish Red, we're trying to see the difference in the quality when we change certain things (ie. racking to a secondary or not)
- I understand the "activity is not a sign of fermentation" argument... and mostly fall on that side. But remember, while I do brew with a small group of mostly-like minded individuals, they're not all convinced of it yet.
- YES, I *should* have checked the fermenter *BEFORE* activating the yeast, I could have instead saved it for another brew.

All this being said, if I decide to pitch the second amount of yeast, do we have any idea how it will affect the final product?

Will I still be able to use it as a good comparison to our last batch?

more yeast won't hurt anything. depending upon the yeast type you're pitching, you shouldn't have too much affect on the final product. unless you chose a yeast that has a specific profile, like a Belguim. I'd say pitch it and add it to the notes. RDWHAHB

as for "activity is not a sign of fermentation", I think you mean that "lack of activity is not a sign of no fermentation." If the airlock is consistently bubbling, you have fermentation. when it stops, fermentation is not necessarily complete.

more yeast won't hurt anything. depending upon the yeast type you're pitching, you shouldn't have too much affect on the final product. unless you chose a yeast that has a specific profile, like a Belguim. I'd say pitch it and add it to the notes. RDWHAHB

Good idea... I told the guy what I was brewing (Irish Red Ale) and he said this yeast would be fine.

as for "activity is not a sign of fermentation", I think you mean that "lack of activity is not a sign of no fermentation." If the airlock is consistently bubbling, you have fermentation. when it stops, fermentation is not necessarily complete.

You are correct... I'm still picking up on the nuances

Make another batch and pitch to that! That is what I would do.:ban:

Man after my own heart. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to brew in time, there are plusses to working with a crew but a minus is coordination and storage of certain supplies.

I would not pitch the new yeast. You will likely be over pitching considering the fact that the original yeast is active. Plus, why introduce a new variable into the mix especially if you are trying to compare this batch to another one

Pitching the new yeast will do very little. The original yeast will have used up the O2 to reproduce, so the new yeast will not multiply.

Save the yeast. Sanitize a glass jar and pour in the yeast and keep in the fridge. Or make a small starter and keep in the fridge.

Bring the yeast out a couple of days before you want to use it and make a starter with it.

Why does he/she need to pour it into a jar? I assume its an unopened pack. I'd just leave it in the fridge unopened and pitch it into a starter next time.

1. Just because you ' smacked the pack' doesn't mean you have to use it right away.
2. 24 hours is not enough time to panic.
3. Keep a pack of Nottingham on hand. If a batch of yeast fails (after 72 hours) pitch the Notty. You will get beer. What kind, I don't know, but you will get beer.

Back