time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cascadegan said:
Does it start with 's' ?

The style? No. Neither does the BJCP style to which this "substyle" belongs.

This isn't 20 questions though ;)

Winner

(BJCP considers it part of the Old Ale style)

Ahhhhh...... I'm such a jerk....!! Good luck!

(I'll give good hints) and I feel like a jerk, so I'll start with a hint. Im very inspired by my favorite brewery, and so are the bjcp categories.

IMG_20111111_192556.jpg

emjay said:
Winner

(BJCP considers it part of the Old Ale style)

BTW... just wanted to add that Sam Smith's Winter Welcome is a heck of a tasty beer.

I only bought one, thinking a winter warmer was the same thing as a category 21B (Christmas/winter specialty beers). However, when I looked up the BJCP guidelines to make sure I wasn't giving any wrong hints, it said that Christmas Beers MUST use spices, whereas English-style Winter Warmers specifically do not, and are instead considered a version of Old Ale that is often darker, maltier, fuller-bodied, and with a lower ABV.

Regardless, it's a fantastic beer, and I wish I had bought more!

doctorRobert said:
Winner winner chicken dinner. Robust Porter. Thought somebody might have been able to pick it up off the tannish head. Maybe it looks little more white in the picture.

Awesome! It's been a while since I won. I'll post a pic later today when I start pregaming for the Nevada vs Hawaii game.

Yeah so pregaming turned into game drinking, which turned into postgaming.

Also I rooted and upgraded my android and it took forever and required a lot of my attention. SWMBO wasn't stoked about that so I promised to put the phone down for the rest of the night.

So here we go. This is a somewhat-common style with a late boil addition to add some extra flavor. The added ingredient is neither an herb nor a spice.

ForumRunner_20111113_101459.jpg

Nay to all.

Hint: there's a commercial version of it from a semi-large brewery. Also, not an ale.

Reno_eNVy said:
Nay to all.

Hint: there's a commercial version of it from a semi-large brewery. Also, not an ale.

I think your original clue may have been misleading. Is the added ingredient a common addition to the style?

Back