Cheapest Way?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixmasterob

Reaction score
Looking to brew a Saison. I have a recipe and was wondering what the cheapest route would be to acquire all the ingredients. Mainly the LME. Any ideas?

9.3lb Pilsener LME
.75 lb Wheat LME
.5 lb Munich LME
1lb Cane Sugar

2oz Cara Munich 60L

2oz Hallertau (60min)
.75oz Hallertau (0min)

Yeast: Wyeast 3711

Morebeer.com has Pilsner LME pretty cheap

9 LB Pilsner Malt Extract Bag
Order Qty: Price: $21.85

as for the other LMEs you might be better off steeping some specialty malts.

FYI morebeer also does free shipping on orders that are $59 or more.

+1 on more beer for the pilsner LME. There price is as good as many of the bulk prices without buying a giant bulk sized container.

The other stuff you don't have great options on. The smallest size I find the Munich LME in is 3.15lbs. Use the remainder in the next batch. A touch of Munich goes well in many beers. I like to have some ready on hand all the time.

Wheat liquid is hard to find. I'd use wheat DME and use whats left over for another batch or for starters. Wheat DME makes great starters.

Go ahead and buy a lb of hops. It will cost more now but you will have big time in the long run. I bought a lb of hallertau recently and it broke down to like 1.00 per OZ. I've got some in a dubble, triple and a wheat and I still have about a half lb left over. Maybe I should make a pilsner and a weizenbock!

But to do bulk you will want a nice digital scale. And to store bulk hops you'd probably want a food saver machine. It's a disease I tell ya!!!!!

Perhaps get together with some other brewers and share a lb of hops. Like a hop co-op

I just wanted to mention that saisons are typically fermented at relatively higher temps than your typical ale, which might be tough to manage this time of year.

Back