Can I use part of my wort to make a yeast starter instead of DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geer537

Reaction score
Hello all!

I tried looking this topic up in a search prior to asking but I couldn't find a direct answer. Sorry if this one has been answered a ton of times but I am doing all grain ales and want to try a lager. Yooper clued me in that a yeast starter is a fantastic idea. She knows her stuff (sorry if I insulted you Yooper!)

So when I make my wort, can I pull off some of it pre boil and use it to make a yeast starter? I can only assume that the steps would be the same as everywhere that I have read for making a starter except substitue DME for the wort I pulled off?

You certainly can. I would boil the part you take off. Sanitize your starter making vessel. And put the still hot wort into the bottle. Cap it and let it cool down. Then add the yeast.

This way you are making sure that your wort is sterile before you add the yeast.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

This is based on 1.030 wort. I wouldn't pull off wort from the beer you are going to use the yeast in because you want the yeast to multiply and get active before pitching. A day or two before brewing is better. Also, if you do pull off wort from the batch, do it after its been boiling for 10 or 15 minutes so that it is sanitized.

It depends on how big of a starter you're making, and also on how much slurry you plan on pitching into the starter.

Go check out Mr. Malty for all of your yeast starter informational needs.

Oh thanks MBasile! I mis-read his question.

You definitely want to make this starter well in advance of brew day. I thought you meant could you save wort from another batch of beer, and then make a starter from that for your NEXT batch of beer.

would I click on the Repitching from Slurry tab since I am using my own wort? That seems like the correct move...

Sorry- I have never used Mr. malty before and I think I just raised my noob flag pretty high...

save wort from another batch of beer, and then make a starter from that for your NEXT batch of beer.

That brings up three more questions about storage; what temp should I keep it at (lager temps and ale temps for respective yeasts or refrig?), how long would it last , and would I need to do anything special to the starter if I waited more than a few days to pitch it?

Making a starter from DME is going to be a lot less of a hassle than figuring out sanitation and storage.

BTW, where are you getting your supplies from? I didn't get into the hobby until I moved out of Monterey. Is there a shop down there?

Unfortunately there is no shop. I get it online or head to Santa Cruz. Thats why I am trying to figure this out. I always forget to order or buy DME

Back