new beers to try?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bfelt

Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys had tried any beers you liked lately or have any favorites that i might have never heard of?

I would like to try some new ones and cant think of many that i would like to sample.

Have you had a chocolate stout? I buy a few different brands before deciding if I'll like to try brewing a new style, and here are a few that I tried: Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence (cool bottle too, small details in label), Rogue Chocolate Stout...

Fair warning that the style is light on chocolate flavor, and refers mostly to the color. Just have to throw that in there because most people think it's going to be like hot chocolate beer :p

Try anything that you have never tried!

The world of beers is quite vast !

You will try beers that you could never imagine !

Had a Brother Thelonious Belgian Abby for the first time yesterday. Freaking amazing.

I was wondering if you guys had tried any beers you liked lately or have any favorites that i might have never heard of?

I would like to try some new ones and cant think of many that i would like to sample.

Look through BJCP or Beer Advocate's style list or some other list of styles.

Make it a goal to try at least 3 beers from every category on your list (they don't have to be listed as canonical examples, just try a few to make sure you didn't just happen on one you hate), and try to remember what each one was like in comparison to others in the same style. Often if you're not familiar with a style you might try beer A and dislike it and beer B and dislike it, but suddenly when you start comparing them then something "clicks" and you get an idea of what the style's all about (and an appreciate for it, possibly even a liking for it).

If there's a category you like a lot, try every beer you happen upon in that category you haven't tried before.

If there's a category you dislike, revisit it every couple of years to see if your tastes have changed.

If you happen on something that seems rare, try it. Even better, get 4-5 friends to all buy a couple of rare/pricey and do a tasting where you each sample a few oz of 10 different things that you wouldn't want to buy all of (taste unknown) on your own. (Make sure you agree with what rare means--to different people that might mean anything from Chimay Blue to St Bernardus Abt 12 to Westvleteren 12 to rarer; as long as everyone's on the same page it's all good.)

You're out in California; Russian River, Lost Abbey/Port Brewing, and Ballast Point make some great beers. Almost anything out of Stone is going to be good.

If any of those are in your area, go take a tour. Talk to the brewers and show an interest.

Latest posts

Back