Im new at winemaking.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awsellers

Reaction score
So about a year ago, I moved in with my grandfather to help take care of him. Sadly, he is losing his mind. But for many years he has made wine out of the various grapes and berrys on the property. Before forgetting how he did it, he wrote down a recipe, and with it and a mess of black berrys I did my best to make something good, and while it wasn't bad, I feel it could have been much better. This year I have about 30 pounds of berrys, but instead of just trying my best with this simple recipe of suger and Yeast and lemon juice, in turning to all of you. For any advice you all may feel would be helpful to me. I'm very much green at winemaking, but I don't plan on letting that stop me.

I would go to your local library and see what books they have on wine making with fruits - usually called country wines. When you have specific questions I am sure folk on this forum will offer their answers but wine making is both an art and a science and all it takes is an understanding of the principles, practice and patience.

I have no idea - obviously - of your grandfather's recipes but from 30 lbs of berries - I think you could squeeze out about 3 gallons of wine. Of course, if you dilute the juice with water you could make a larger batch... but if you are looking for flavor then you don't want to dilute fruit juice.

I'd normally suggest jack kellers website for a recipe but it's acting screwy. I make a killer bb wine with about 20lbs for 5 gallons. I'll try to remember to post the recipe when I get home. It's based on JKs recipe.

Back