Biere de Garde + Oak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Pear

Reaction score
I brewed a Biere de Garde yesterday for a local competition where we were given parameters for a base recipe and we get to choose one special or "brewer's choice" ingredient. My original plan was to "garde" it on some oak cubes but I'm worried that the good oakiness might not come through in time. I brewed it yesterday (2/19/12) and the last day to turn in bottles is (5/5/12). Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on an oaking regiment or a different ingredient to add?

Oak chips will work faster than cubes but the flavor is less interesting and it's more woody until it ages. However, get some oak chips and soak them in vodka for a couple months. You'll get the oak and the undesirable woody flavor will go away. Add the oak-soaked vodka at bottling time as desired.

I was originally going to oak for Alchemy as well but did not do to time constraints. It's funny how they chose a BdG for such a short time window. I would have liked to cellar it for at least 6 months.

Ya I'd def. like to have longer to hold on to it. My og finished a few points higher then I was planning so if I get super good attenuation, like I'm hoping, then I'll probably finish close to 9% ABV. Oh well maybe I'll oak it anyway for my future consumption.

Nice! I haven't delved into sour beers yet but definitely something on the horizon for me. I brewed a saison last weekend so my house is full of fermenting farmhouse ales, starting to get some evil looks from SWMBO!

Back