Newb multiple (more than 2) CO2 regulator questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SankePankey

Reaction score
Hello-

I am going to do a Magic Chef 7.2 cu ft keezer conversion and I'm trying to decide which conversion package to purchase from kegconnection (10% off and a free upgrade to 10 lb tank til Superbowl).

What I would like to have are 4 taps going off of 4 cornies and another 2 cornies force carbing. I also have a keg fermenter (with corny QD's) that is in another room that I want to be able to use the tank with for purging and pre-rack conditioning as well. I'm trying to keep the purchases to a minimum, but buy right (perlicks and stainless shanks, etc.).

I can understand the reason for having dual regulators, but I'm trying to understand why people go with a regulator for every keg. Is that just indulgent?
I mean, I'd like to have many different styles on tap, but am I really going to want 4 or 5 regulators?
Is there really much difference between 8.6 PSI and 9.2 PSI?
Should I go with 3 and a manifold (one at 9, one at 12, and one for force carbing)
2 and 2 manifolds?
What's the difference between going with manifolds and y spitters (probably nothing)?

(oh, and I like seltzer, so that would be fun too...?)

And lastly, is there a special way to set this up so I can disconnect the tank (which will be outside of the keezer) to take to my fermentation chamber, so that the pressure holds in my cornies?

I know there is no right way. I was all set to get 4 regulators but was reasoned into 2 + 3 way or 4 way manifold by kegconnection. They didn't seem to hold much merit in the multi-regulator approach. He seemed to be saying that once a keg is carbonated at it's appropriate pressure, it doesn't matter what pressure you tap it at, it will just come out faster if over pressured. The way I understood it is that the keg would eventually equalize at the pressure that the tank is feeding it when tapped.

I'm a little confused by how this will effect me. I could just go with the dual + manifold and add more later if I want them, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks folks!

EDIT: Followup question: I kinda think that 5' of serving line length is kinda short. That seems to be the norm for kits- I just would think that 6 or 7 feet would balance better. Anyone have a this keezer wanna chime in?

You only need 2 regulators. You can keep all of your drinking kegs at about 8-10 psi. You would want a seperate regulator to force carb your other kegs at about 35-40 psi, and note that you will want a check valve for each forced carb station. ( beer can creep up the gas line while you are shaking the kegs). You can put a gas line quick disconnect in the process so that you can disconnect your gas tank and move it around.
Hope this helps.
Don't worry, have a home brew!

I actually was about to post a very similar thread. good thing I searched. I just bought a regulator with a 5-way splitter this afternoon. I was just loooking at it on the counter and decided I HAD to have a second regulator for the force carbing. That, or at least cutoffs somewhere.

(Not to hijack, but) If I don't mind having my beers at the same CO2 level, is it better/easier to have 2 regulators (one for force carbing/one for drinking pressure) or just put cutoffs on the drinking lines? (to be turned off on drinking kegs while another keg is being carbed - the valves could be opened momentarily to provide a burst of pressure to the drinking kegs when needed)

There are a lot of threads about the 1 vs. 2 debate and I think for the few dollars, 2 is definitely better if you want to force carb in your keezer. Unless you don't want to serve anything while your carbing, I guess.

I haven't found a whole lot of debate on the merits of having more than two regulators. I just see a lot of my favorite conversions done using lots of regulators and I don't know if it's really necessary or if these people just have OZTS-(over zealous tinker syndrome):cool:

Like who I'm planning on copying:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/found-magic-magic-chef-keezer-progress-questions-80261/

Also, sometimes I see the tank pressure gauge at the end of the chain and other times I see it before the chain (probably near the tank) and I don't know what the difference is.

Ha! Rehijacked!

Latest posts

Back