Powdered Oxygen Cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
I think I got this tip from someone here, but I'm not sure.

I bought a container of powdered oxy cleaner form the dollar store (for a dollar!).

This stuff is great for cleaning gunky dried-on kreasen and the like from blowoff hoses, mason jars, carboys. A 30-60 minute soak does the job.

There are many testaments to the power of OxyClean on this site. I haven't used it for brewing yet since I clean/rinse everything as soon as possible, and as such, things don't get gunked up much, but I do use it for other things around the house and it kicks @ss

By far my favorite use . . . removing labels! Yep, a thirty minute soak and they seem to fall right off. No scrubbing, no cursing, no problem. Then I wash em and sanitize and voila. I just did 70 or so the other night in the bathtub. I was done in 45 minutes.:mug:

A little warning about oxyclean. I had a bunch of bottles to delabel, so I put them in a tub of oxyclean and water, then got busy and left them there about a week and a half. The labels came off great, but there was a funny crystal-like subsance all over the bottles inside and out. It came off, but took a considerable amount of scrubbing with a bottle brush. So my word of advise is-don't leave your bottles in oxyclean more than a day or two. Otherwise, that stuff is awesome.

Latest posts

Back