APA/IPA - 7 week primary in Better Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shjbrown

Reaction score
Hello All,

I only get a chance to brew once a month or so, and I have a 6 gallon better bottle. I usually do 10 days in the BB primary, dry hop in primary, then another ten days or so til bottling.

I've been thinking about getting a second 6 gallon BB, and leaving brews in the primary for six weeks, dry hop for a week and bottle. I know I could secondary instead, but I'd prefer to minimise transfers and my time invested.

Would I see any negatives? I usually brew APA/IPA style beers, but once winter come to us down in Australia I might do a few pils/lagers. Mainly extract but moving towards BIAB.

-Simon

I just did an IPA that was left in primary for 6 weeks and bottled without secondary and it is delicious. So yes, by all means do so...many folks around here would agree.

For APA and IPA's I see no reason to go that long. I do 3 weeks and they turn out great. On a high gravity beer I will go around a month.

I am currently running two 6 gallon Better Bottles, an Ale Pail, a 5 gallon Better Bottle and some 5 gallon buckets. I started with extract, did 2 Partial mashes, then went all grain. I have also done two 3 gallon BIAB batches.

Variety is the spice of life!:drunk:

:mug:

Back