Fermentation is rolling -- but not kreusen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naked_Eskimo

Reaction score
Is it possible to have a rolling fermentation without a protracted kreusen?

I brewed an imperial stout on saturday. By sunday, I had a nice fat kreusen which blocked my airlock. I then removed the airlock and replaced it with a blowoff tube and at the same time pitched in some new yeast (since I had originally underpitched). The fermentation is rolling heavily as can be seen by heavy turbulence in the glass fermenter and the very rapid bubbling of the blowoff, but theres little to no kreusen.

Does the duration or the size of kreusen directly act as an indicator of the health of the fermentation, or is it more a product of the kind of yeast/wort strength in the brew?

By-product, all fermentations are different and depend on factors too numerous to track or even control. I wouldn't have pitched more yeast, if you had kreusen, you were already golden IMO.

My mild never developped a krausen. I had pitched with Notty and had to repitch with US-05: fermented fine (1.009 from 1.039) and the taste is solid. I wouldn't worry about it, you already had krausen it just dropped. My next two batches all have that nasty brown crap hugging the walls of the fermentor, while the no krausen mild was a breeze to clean :)

I'm used to kreusen lasting for 3-4 days....but just one day this time round. This was the first time using Wyeast 1272 though.

Back