Carbing 2 kegs with 1 line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hethen57

Reaction score
I have ordered the parts for a second CO2 line, but until then, I am trying to carb two kegs in my keezer by switching the line back and forth between the kegs morning and night. My reg. is set at 12psi, and everytime I switch, it takes a second to bring the keg up to pressure. I'm not in a huge rush, as I have quite a few bottles to drink through during the interim, just wondering if anyone has tried this and how long it might take? Also, when the kegs are fully carb'ed, should they stop taking in the 12 psi CO2 when I connect up and flip valve? The temp of the kegs is 38 degrees. Thanks.

I did this for awhile, but now have a plastic barbed T fitting (aka poor man's CO2 manifold) feeding two kegs at once. Assuming you are leaving the line on each keg approximately the same amount of time (ie not having one keg on gas for 8 hours while at work, and the other on for 16 hours while at home/sleeping) I would anticipate about double the time to proper carbonation.

That said, they'll be drinkable fairly quickly even if the carbonation isn't 100%.

Pressure-wise, as soon as your beer has absorbed the 2.5 volumes of CO2 (12 psi @ 38F) then you should stop hearing gas flow into the keg when you switch the lines. That will be a good indicator of when they are 100% carbed. Assuming, of course, that you don't have a leak in your system somewhere that might be letting the pressure out ;).

Thanks Depot, that's what I was thinking from a common sense standpoint, but it always nice to hear it from someone who has actually done it. I don't think I am exactly splitting the time on the gas, but like you said, they will stop taking gas when they are done, so it shouldn't be a problem. I have finally built up a suffient enough pipeline that my fermenters are now sitting idle for the first time in 3 months :mug:....probably not for long though, there are so many different recipes I want to brew.

Too many recipes is a great problem to have isn't it! I'm in the same boat, but with several sets of family coming to visit this summer I'm having to carefully plan my keg/fermenter pipeline and neither are empty yet! Would hate to run out while they're here... :tank:

You didn't mention how exactly you are going to hook up the second co2 line so I don't know if you bought a manifold or what exactly. If you didn't go the fancy route you should give the barbed T a try. Super inexpensive and works like a charm with some hose clamps. It is my stop gab until I can scrounge up the funds for a 4 port ball/check valve manifold but frankly it is working so well I'm not in any big hurry.

I went with the simple barbed T....I have a shut off at the regulator and didn't want to spend $30 on a manifold set up either. I know my fermenters won't sit idle long....I just need to decide which of the 20 or so recipes is next...I'm due to try a stout or porter.

So just a plastic barbed t-piece works? Any other specifications I should look for in a T-piece to split a gas line?

I would anticipate about double the time to proper carbonation.

Why would it take double the time? It's not like putting a T in the line splits the set psi between two kegs. Each keg is still getting whatever the regulator is set at.

I have ordered the parts for a second CO2 line, but until then, I am trying to carb two kegs in my keezer by switching the line back and forth between the kegs morning and night.

OP's original question had to do with swapping one line between two kegs. Assuming he had the line on each keg approximately the same amount of time per day it ought to take twice as long than if both kegs were hooked up simultaneously.

I completely agree with you if a T is being used - will result in normal carb times (and is what I do!).

OP's original question had to do with swapping one line between two kegs. Assuming he had the line on each keg approximately the same amount of time per day it ought to take twice as long than if both kegs were hooked up simultaneously.

I completely agree with you if a T is being used - will result in normal carb times (and is what I do!).

Oh, ok gotcha. Yeah it's not worth the effort to switch back and forth when a T is like <$2.00 at the hardware store!

Why would it take double the time? It's not like putting a T in the line splits the set psi between two kegs. Each keg is still getting whatever the regulator is set at.

This is what I do for my 2 kegs, it doesn't take double the time, just double the gas(which isn't much). The pressure is the same so it dissolves in the beer at the same rate.:tank:

This is what I do for my 2 kegs, it doesn't take double the time, just double the gas(which isn't much). The pressure is the same so it dissolves in the beer at the same rate.:tank:

I don't do this, but would agree with above. If you swap often, it will take about regular time (as the headspace is kept near reg psi). If you let it sit for days between swaps, it will take more time.

Latest posts

Back