SWMBO slayer fights back with an attitude.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggoodman

Reaction score
SO I made SWMBO slayer and I've got the off favor from hell. Did a 3 week primary at room temp 70-72. abv came out to 6.5% it doesnt smell funky and fermentation was vigerous and seemed to go off with ought a hitch.

I swear it's like drinking funky apple juice. a blond ale it is not. where did i go wrong. as my beer buddy says "it aint a pitcher but it aint far" ive been getting rid of it one glass and bottle at a time to those that are willing to try it. 3 weeks latter still taste the same.

my next questions is can I dry hop they spit outa it with orange peel and coreander to cover up the taste. or should I pitch her.

Thanks for the help i know my typing sucks.

I'm not sure what yeast you used, but if the room temperature was 74 degrees, the beer temperature probably was over 80 degrees. That would explain the fruitiness, particularly if you used a yeast known to give off fruity esters at a high temperature.

It may taste better in a few more weeks, especially if you can cold condition it in the bottle. It probably won't improve very much, though, if the off-flavor is because of the high fermentation temperature.

I would agree with Yooper. If you used a beligan wit yeast such as WP400 as called for in Biermunchers reciepe at that temp you most likely have the fruity esters.

I brewed a fruit ale where the ambient temp was about 73 and when I checked the actual temp in the carboy it got up to 79. This produced some pretty foul tasting stuff - similar to what you described above. It is now aging for next year in hopes of mellowing out to something i might enjoy.

Perhaps the t-shirt trick next time?

Latest posts

Back