Smoker coughed on my beer? (gross!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ecaz

Reaction score
So, this is my first home brew. Please forgive me if this has been answered over and over again. I did a brief forum search.

Its about 3 days into primary fermentation and what started as white foam has turned into white foam, with what looks to be large spots of nasty green phlegm. It basically looks like a person with a very, very bad smoking problem cleared their throat and coughed all over the top of my fermenting beer!

I'm just curious if this discoloration is an infection, or totally normal

Im brewing a Rye American Pale Ale, Extract.

When I smell the air lock release, it smells like beer! A little more potent than what I smelled when brewing it on the stove.

Thanks!

It's called a krausen and it is a normal part of the fermentation process, it's actually yeast. The green parts are bits of hops. It's ugly but perfectly normal.

Here's one of mine.

krausen5.jpg

That looks thoroughly disgusting. :)
It makes me wonder how beer ever got brewed in the first place.

You know you are a brewer when you see that nasty krausen and you instantly get either (a) thirsty, or (b) jonesing to break out the mashtun.

Thanks for the pics, caphector. That's what mine was looking like, and I just wanted to make sure that was normal. Thanks to everyone that responded.

Back