Glycerin Anyone?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check your local pharmacy. You may have to check a few places. If all else fails, you can buy glycerin suppositories, and drain the glycerin out of the capsules.

Do a search on frezzing yeast. I can't remember what the ratio was last time I did it. Something like 20% or 30% glycerin solution ??????

I have seen glycerin at my LHBS. They also sell winemaking supplies, and the owner told me that it is commonly used in making wine.

But I found the same thing much cheaper at my local grocer, in the pharmacy section. If you get it from a pharmacy, just be sure to check the bottle to ensure that it is safe to ingest. I believe some glycerin is packaged only for topical use.

When you freeze your yeast, you want your vials to be about 50% yeast slurry (as thick as you can get it), 25% - 35% water, and 15 - 25% glycerin.

This is great info! Thank you very much! I did find some glycerin a my lhbs he didn't even know he had it!
It was $3.99 for 4 oz. Good deal? I think I'll try this tonite! Man, I'm stoked about this! If it works good I'll save a ton of cash!!! I pay about $7.00 for yeast now and $6.00 for it in winter.
Brewsmith that is an awesome link to a link. Thanks!

I just had to use the search feature and my brain a little to find it. I knew it was there.

Back